Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Roof Hail Damage and do I need a Public Adjuster

Looking for some advise from those in the insurance or roofing field.

So on 4/14/21 we had a good hail storm in Prairieville. I was able to get home a little over 2 hours later, and lots of the hail on the ground was still larger than a quarter when I got there.

I reached out to my insurance company and the adjuster showed yesterday and put someone up on the roof. The claims adjuster noted and agreed to the damage to the metal chimney case cover, metal roof vents, and rain caps. The shingles are 30y architectural installed when the house was built in 2011.
    They did note that there was old damage to the roof. They called the new spots blistering and spatter denied damage to the shingles.

My assumption is that damage is damage, whether it happed a year ago or yesterday, and my homeowners insurance should cover it. Am I wrong?

My question is should I hire a public adjuster to fight with the insurance company?
    It’s a pretty good size roof at 61 squares and I don’t want to be on the hook for it if my homeowners insurance should cover it.

Here is a vid from the backyard while it was going on that the wife was able to take.

Last edited by mickey; April 24th, 2021 at 06:07 AM.

SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Last edited by mickey; April 26th, 2021 at 02:44 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nice security footage. What type of system do you use? I need to upgrade mine.

SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    Nice security footage. What type of system do you use? I need to upgrade mine.

Dahua CVI
    This is one of my older cams that is a 2mp. I have others up to 6mp and color night vision as well.
    It’s good quality over analog cable. I did not want to pull cat 5 everywhere to run IP cams.
    However, IP cams do have better image quality.

More footage from mine

Color night vision

Regular IR night vision
    Last edited by mickey; April 24th, 2021 at 08:06 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I am wondering the same thing. I was about to call a roofer first and have them note the damage. I too live in Prairieville and had the same Hail hit. I was fortunate to get my truck in the car port right before. Roof looks jacked up. Next rain and the gutters were filled with grit. I have Liberty Mutual for Insurance.

FYI I have 30 Arch Shingles too from 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Looking for some advise from those in the insurance or roofing field.

So on 4/14/21 we had a good hail storm in Prairieville. I was able to get home a little over 2 hours later, and lots of the hail on the ground was still larger than a quarter when I got there.

I reached out to my insurance company and the adjuster showed yesterday and put someone up on the roof. The claims adjuster noted and agreed to the damage to the metal chimney case cover, metal roof vents, and rain caps. The shingles are 30y architectural installed when the house was built in 2011.
    They did note that there was old damage to the roof. They called the new spots blistering and spatter denied damage to the shingles.

My assumption is that damage is damage, whether it happed a year ago or yesterday, and my homeowners insurance should cover it. Am I wrong?

My question is should I hire a public adjuster to fight with the insurance company?
    It’s a pretty good size roof at 61 squares and I don’t want to be on the hook for it if my homeowners insurance should cover it.

Here is a vid from the backyard while it was going on that the wife was able to take.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

After we had a big storm and pretty much the same level of damage, I had a reputable roofer come out a few years ago and do an inspection and let them deal with the insurance company (Allstate) and I didnít have one issue. They waived my deductible and paid me for the referrals on the other 3 houses they did near mine. Sounds like maybe you called the wrong folks.

Hereís some good advice:
    I find that itís always easier to let the repair person go to bat with the insurance company. They not only have skin in the game but also know how to handle adjusters way better than a customer ever would. Whether itís a car or a house, I always let someone else bother with the insurance company. They want to get paid and theyíll call the insurance company out when they try to balk. Itís also nice that I donít even have to get involved.
    Last edited by Magdump; April 24th, 2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    After we had a big storm and pretty much the same level of damage, I had a reputable roofer come out a few years ago and do an inspection and let them deal with the insurance company (Allstate) and I didn’t have one issue. They waived my deductible and paid me for the referrals on the other 3 houses they did near mine. Sounds like maybe you called the wrong folks.

Here’s some good advice:
    I find that it’s always easier to let the repair person go to bat with the insurance company. They not only have skin in the game but also know how to handle adjusters way better than a customer ever would. Whether it’s a car or a house, I always let someone else bother with the insurance company. They want to get paid and they’ll call the insurance company out when they try to balk. It’s also nice that I don’t even have to get involved.

I did get a reputable roofing company involved and he met the adjuster here.
    Everything that the experienced roofer pointed out was bucked by the insurance adjuster.
    Now, it’s time for round 2 with a 2nd insurance adjuster. I want my ducks in a row this time, but thanks for your input.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I did get a reputable roofing company involved and he met the adjuster here.
    Everything that the experienced roofer pointed out was bucked by the insurance adjuster.
    Now, it’s time for round 2 with a 2nd insurance adjuster. I want my ducks in a row this time, but thanks for your input.
    Gotcha. I only called a roofer. I didn’t give Allstate a heads up. I simply gave the roofer my insurance info and let them go from there and I think maybe that was the key to my success. I hope your situation works out in your favor.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xeon64 View Post
    I am wondering the same thing. I was about to call a roofer first and have them note the damage. I too live in Prairieville and had the same Hail hit. I was fortunate to get my truck in the car port right before. Roof looks jacked up. Next rain and the gutters were filled with grit. I have Liberty Mutual for Insurance.

FYI I have 30 Arch Shingles too from 2010.
    We are in Oaks on the Bluff. We definitely have damage. It seems to be just how difficult the insurance company and adjuster want to be and how far you want to fight them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have fought all the way to the insurance Commissioner before after my car was wrecked and the insurance did not want to pay for proper body work. Looks like I may be doing that again. I think I am going to call Garcia roofing.

We are in Oaks on the Bluff. We definitely have damage. It seems to be just how difficult the insurance company and adjuster want to be and how far you want to fight them.