Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ouch....

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xeon64 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. CIA use to load rounds with explosive charges then have them spread into the enemy supply chain. Makes me wonder how many of these have made it back into the USA via import.

This makes me want to throw away all of my mil surplus ammo. I had a gun blow up in my face once and no where near the damage this guy had.
    I hear ya. It’s all relative too. Even though the BMG holds a lot more powder than most rifles we shoot, the gun is built a lot heavier than those guns. I’m just trying to imagine what it would take to run the pressures that high.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Ready, Shoot, Aim!

User Info Menu

Just FYI, a SLAP round is a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, basically a sub caliber penetrator made of tungsten with a polymer sabot around it, delivering much higher velocity than you can normally obtain with a bullet fired from the cartridge.

Marksman

User Info Menu

More like sabot, a French shoe used to break equipment in the industrial revulsion. And from the looks of it that round he shot was the work of sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by CatCam View Post
    Just FYI, a SLAP round is a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, basically a sub caliber penetrator made of tungsten with a polymer sabot around it, delivering much higher velocity than you can normally obtain with a bullet fired from the cartridge.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CatCam View Post
    Yes. Much like the old accelerator rifle rounds. Just not familiar with them. I’m assuming the powder charge is that of, if not less than standard FMJ. There’s nothing about the round itself that should account for the increase in pressure to the extent mentioned. Being a sabot round, I suppose there’s a chance of the round leaving the sabot and possibly entering the barrel wrong and causing an obstruction. It’s too bad the guy hasn’t investigated further. I also can’t imagine any of those being included in the booby loads, as they were limited to munitions meant for the enemy combatants and the rifles they generally use, i.e. 7.62x39. Those loads were reportedly quite successful at taking out the rifle and often times the person shooting it. Nevertheless, I’ve removed them from my want list. I’ll just make do with the old dusty armor piercing incendiary rounds. I don’t mind a little slap now and then when the wife gets frisky but not like that.

Slapped him? Damn near took his head off!
    Last edited by Magdump; April 30th, 2021 at 09:36 PM.

On Target

User Info Menu

yall are right - 3:19 something definitely comes off - almost looks like one of the sabot braces ... thats the only thing which would be that color. If thats the case - the projectile would have been off-center and caused the blowout whilst still leaving the barrel.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Some interesting takes on the accident and the manufacturer, but still nothing about the flying piece.

https://youtu.be/5AY6iEVhJE8

https://youtu.be/lkScfMcsOSY

And this one says the SLAP rounds are a bad idea in a rifle with a muzzle brake. They also come with a warning statement to this effect.
    (7:00 mark) Go figure...
    https://youtu.be/ardw09S7GfE
    Last edited by Magdump; May 3rd, 2021 at 03:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quite interesting and well documented.

Marksman

User Info Menu

sucker was supposed to slap the target not the shooter lol

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WhereIsIt? View Post
    It does happen when he closes the bolt but it doesnt look like its coming from the gun itself..it just kinda pops from no where.
    What bolt, I saw the video yesterday and the "bolt" is more of a screw on cap or breech. From after accident picture it looks to me as though those threads were not massive enough, at least for an overload . Knowing nothing about that gun, I am thinking there is a short firing pin in that cap, and a hammer or striker in the butt stock assembly.

Guy in second video did bring up a couple of possibly good ideas, but really comes across as a nut case.
    Last edited by jkingrph; May 5th, 2021 at 01:08 PM.