Meplat

Thread: Hip replacement

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hip replacement

what to expect from hip replacement surgery, from time it's completed till i'm back on my feet.

thanks for any input

rp

Gunner

User Info Menu

I had bi-lateral hip replacement surgery in May 2020. Prior to the surgery I was in severe pain and no quality of life. The first week was difficult but once I started doing my physical therapy and working on recovery my pain was minimal and my mobility improved each day. I walked into the doctors office 2 weeks after surgery with no pain, no device for assistance and in an upright position. I was back to riding my bike 6 weeks after surgery. My only limits on my recovery was the doctors order. I am now in the process of having both shoulder's replaced. Modern medicine is wonderful.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My dad did two hip surgeries, a few years apart. First one he didn't do physical therapy and just sat around, cause in pain, and walking hurt him more. I think he pushed more on the other leg causing him to get a hip surgery for that also. So he got the second one done. After we all got on him, he did the physical therapy for 3 or 4 weeks out of the 6 he should have done. He walks a lot better, and wasn't in so much pain as last time.

Do your physical therapy.

Gunner

User Info Menu

The most important part of the recovery is physical therapy. I did my required therapy sessions 4 times a day. My recovery was accelerated because of the effort I put into my physical therapy.
    Last edited by rk06classic; May 3rd, 2021 at 05:33 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I had a total hip replacement in 2010, did extra therapy. Was walking in two weeks with a cane. I have had two surgeries since to remove bone growing in the soft tissue. Very painful . I am to have a total revision tomorrow (4th). Replacing all the old hardware with new and removing the bone . Heterotropic ossification is what it is called and isn't uncommon for people to get it. I m special in that mine has continued to grow. Hope your surgery and recovery goes well. Most people do real well with it.

Huh?

User Info Menu

Dad had one side replaced last year. They had him up the afternoon of the surgery. Less than a week later he walked the 200 yards to my house. He hadn’t done that in 2 years prior. Like others said, the therapy is most important part. He’s having the other done done in 2 weeks now.
    SVTFreak

User Info Menu

Wife had her left hip replaced last year. Walked the hall 2 hours out of surgery. Went home the next day. Used the walker around the house for a couple of days. Used a cane for a week. Then walked fine with no help.
    Have your surgery at the Lake. They have an excellent joint replacement wing. I had both my knees replaced there10 years ago. All the doctors there are top rate.