CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Info Menu

Complete reloading set up

What's currently the best reloading press for pistol and rifle, money no object?

This will be my first reloading press.

Marksman

User Info Menu

That's pretty broad. Money no object then Mark 7 revolution, but since you are a first time reloader I would recommend one of the dillon presses that fit what you're trying to do.

Also, this is the worst time to get into reloading. Consumables are impossible to find. Presses and parts are hard to find.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dababy1 View Post
    What's currently the best reloading press for pistol and rifle, money no object?

This will be my first reloading press.
    PM sent

BSGA

User Info Menu

I would never recommend a semi-progressive or progressive system to any beginner. Get a good single stage or turret for first set-up. Even if you want a progressive later, you'll still use the single or turret for load development. More than anything else, if you don't have a mentor, get all of the best loading manuals you can afford. They will serve you well no matter what. I've been reloading for over 30years, and my go to press is still a single stage most of the time. Yes, I have Dillon's, Lee's, Hornaday's, RCBS's, and Redding's. Some in single, some in turret, and some in semi-progressive. A top quality single or turret still outshines any of them for most chores not to mention the versatility. Love the semi's when I want to crank out a bunch of same loads, but to be honest, that's not all that often.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I recommend a turret press for first timers

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you’re in the Baton Rouge area go to Louisiana Gun and Reloading. They’ll set you straight.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others."
    Paraphrase from George Orwell Animal Farm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    Ash (Bruce Campbell) Army Of Darkness 1992

The Hitler of fun.

Marksman

User Info Menu

That is very broad. Just because money is no object don't mean you need to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

It is all about needs. I think the Dillon 750 or 650 is perfect if you are not switching calibers a bunch. I had one for .45 colt since I shoot a ton of that and it was wonderful. The Dillon 550 is great if you want to change calibers more.

I prefer a Redding T-7 Turret press because I can load up a couple calibers on each tool head and so it makes swapping calibers super easy.

Lyman just came out with a turret press also.

Or you could spend like 1500 on an Area 419 press which looks and works great but I just don't see the need to spend that much money on a press that really offers no advantage.

You can spend as little or as much as you want to fit your needs. My needs may be different than yours and yours may be different than the next guy.

Research is key. Watch videos on youtube. Ask around like you have here. Ask specific questions that you have. That is how you will determine what you really need.
    SASS #84934

User Info Menu

i have been reloading for just over 2 year , i have a good friend that is my mentor , he even gave me an old single stage press to start with . i have started letting my 12 yr old son help , and he loves it . I am partial to RCBS and hornady , there no need to spend a fortune on the press , you will have plenty of other stuff to spend your money on . Only have 2 suggestions , get a mentor ,and read everything you can on reloading . good luck and have fun [oh and becareful ]

Marksman

User Info Menu

The post above by BSGA is good advice. I started loading my own ammo about 45 years ago and have been shooting competition since 1980. I still have my first press, an RCBS single stage. Without a competent mentor, a single stage press is the best choice for a first timer. Learn how to do it right, learn what can go wrong and how to avoid it, then if you want a progressive press you can add it to your equipment.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by highstandard40 View Post
    The post above by BSGA is good advice. I started loading my own ammo about 45 years ago and have been shooting competition since 1980. I still have my first press, an RCBS single stage. Without a competent mentor, a single stage press is the best choice for a first timer. Learn how to do it right, learn what can go wrong and how to avoid it, then if you want a progressive press you can add it to your equipment.
    Same here but since 1978. I still use the single stage RCBS RC press to decap primers prior to cleaning with SS Pins, resize rifle brass as well as swag military primer pockets. I take it outside in the fresh air to reduce my having lead indoors when popping primers out. And only bring cleaned brass inside.
    As well as converting brass to other calibers. (IE) 5.56 INTO 7.62X25 , 300 black. 30 06 I to 8mm Mauser, and 7.62x 51 into 45 cap shot shell.
    Or when working up a new load so i can make up a few different charges.