Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvana

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Carvana

Anyone have any experience with buying a used vehicle from Carvana? Any pros/cons, opinions, horror stories, etc. would be appreciated. They seem legit from what I can find on the internets. Their prices are very competitive, they offer free shipping from anywhere in the country, and they don't charge any crazy dealer fees and whatnot. They also offer a 7 day full refund policy on all their vehicles, some with a longer "test drive" period. So, even if the truck is too far to see in person, they will ship it to you free and give you 7 days to have it checked out really well before completing the purchase. Seems like a cool new and innovative way to buy used vehicles to me. I'm really leaning towards using them since the local used car market is complete donkey doo-doo at the moment. Trust me, I've been looking for almost a month.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MetalVendor; May 4th, 2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Formerly known as "Stephen WhoDat"
    God Bless Our Troops!

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

I haven't bought from them, but in grad school I did a very in-depth case study on Carvana and had to do a ton of research on them. You should be good to go buying from them, and as you mentioned you have the 7 day warranty. During that 7 days, just take the vehicle by a certified mechanic and have them do a once-over on it, if you feel it's necessary.

Another good option is Carmax, which I believe offers warranties on used cars.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Cryptocurrency? Free $25 for giving it a shot! (Click Here)

Marksman

User Info Menu

Personally would never buy a car I can’t touch, see, or DRIVE first. Even with a warranty. But I’m a car guy and particular about that stuff. But seriously. Think about it. You buy a car online. Take delivery. THEN get to drive it for the first time. You’re not comfortable cause you don’t like the seats. You’re not a fan of how it rides (to harsh, to smooth, to loud, not loud enough lol, etc.. whatever your taste), or whatever other reason you just don’t like it. Now you have to go through the return process and get your money back. In the mean time, you’re down a vehicle and out however much money till it clears back into your account. Nope. Personally, would never do it
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    Personally would never buy a car I can’t touch, see, or DRIVE first. Even with a warranty. But I’m a car guy and particular about that stuff. Nope. Personally, would never do it
    If I were buying something brand new to me that I have zero experience with, I would probably completely agree with you. But, in my case, I’m looking for the same type of truck I’ve been driving for over 20 years. And I’ve driven dozens of them, not just my own, for work and whatnot. So I know the trucks and am quite familiar with them. I never would have considered a company like this, but with the local used market being the way it is, I’m weighing my options. Looked at about a dozen trucks locally and have a couple more on the schedule tomorrow. We’ll see.
    God Bless Our Troops!

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I bought my last car from Carvana. Long story short, I see no reason to ever buy from anyone else ever again. I'm a customer for life.

Absolutely phenomenal experience from beginning to end, and even after that. They have flipped the car-buying experience inside out and made what's usually an exhausting and painful process into something fun, stress-free and incredibly easy. I even got a free flight out of the process (they will either deliver the car to your door, or reimburse your flights to come pick it up from their closest hub, so I took the free trip to Houston to get mine so I could put some good miles on it during my 7-day trial window).
    Last edited by southerncanuck; May 4th, 2021 at 10:55 PM.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by southerncanuck View Post
    I bought my last car from Carvana. Long story short, I see no reason to ever buy from anyone else ever again. I'm a customer for life.

Absolutely phenomenal experience from beginning to end, and even after that. They have flipped the car-buying experience inside out and made what's usually an exhausting and painful process into something fun, stress-free and incredibly easy. I even got a free flight out of the process (they will either deliver the car to your door, or reimburse your flights to come pick it up from their closest hub, so I took the free trip to Houston to get mine so I could put some good miles on it during my 7-day trial window).
    Awesome. Thank you, dude. This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear from someone I know.
    God Bless Our Troops!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Sometimes you can't find the particular used vehicle you are looking for locally. In that respect Carvana greatly expands your choices, an Ebay of cars so to speak.
    Back in 2002 bought a used Corvette from a Chevrolet dealer in Chicago. I couldn't find close to what I wanted locally. I told them I was 900 miles away and could they hold the car until I got there. They said give them a $1000 deposit that they would refund if I didn't buy the car. My wife and I drove to Chicago looked it over, drove it and bought it. They even put 2 new tires on it while I was there at no extra cost. Drove into the dealership about 2 pm and left with the car about 6 pm.
    The internet is changing the way cars are bought and sold.
    Last edited by buttanic; May 5th, 2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool
    Everyone is brave until the roach flies

Blackhawk

User Info Menu

After reading the original post I did some searching on Carvana, looking for a 2010-2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. What I found is that most prices on Carvana are around $5000 higher than comparable vehicles locally. Something doesn't seem right here.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam, 1968-69
    Baghdad, Iraq, 2004-05

Marksman

User Info Menu

^^^^

This right here... I have yet to find a better deal on Carvana then local.

Then factor in the fact you can negotiate locally and no negotiations on Carvana

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

This not right here, actually.

Carvana is a publicly listed company whose stock price has tripled in the last year and that does $5.6 billion/year in sales. Vehicles are primarily a price-driven purchase which means that if they weren't extremely competitive on price, they wouldn't having this level of success. Not a hard nut to crack.

Their business model excludes haggling and negotiating on price, very intentionally. I know this because I asked, because I love haggling and negotiating. It makes things messy, brings stress into a stress-free system, and slows down an efficient process. There's a good reason why 99% of retailers do not allow price negotiations for the things we buy (and those that do usually inflate the price so dudes like us can feel proud of ourselves for talking them down a few bucks).