Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Need help with cowhide leather jacket

I know this section is for holsters, etc but, I could use some advice on treating old leather.

I just found an older HD leather jacket that needs to be conditioned / revitalized.
    Its stiff but, isnít cracked or anything like that - it just looks like it could use some reconditioning. So, before I attack it with Ballisol, neates foot oil, mink oil, saddle soap, Iíd like some advice from you experts.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Marc Price
    Rogers standing order #2:
    "Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds of powder and ball, and be ready to march at a moments notice."

Graffito left by Canadian Fur Trader, Illinois Country, 1680:
    "Nous sommes touts Sauvages"

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

I use Fiebings * Aussie Leather Conditioner* should do the trick. You can get it online at tons of places. K

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks, It’s too nice of an old jacket to mess up!! I’ll check Tractor supply - they sell Feibings products. If they don’t have it, I’ll go to Amazon.
    "Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds of powder and ball, and be ready to march at a moments notice."

On Target

User Info Menu

Do you have a Tandy in your area? I'm sure the staff could recommend a product.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use Pecard’s for damaged leather and Lexol conditioner on stuff that just needs some TLC. Lexol has a cleaner too.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

Old School

User Info Menu

check out: Ed's Expert Shoe & Leather Repair - 9345 Florida Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 7081 - (225) 923-3555
    "How did you learn to shoot like that!!??....."Practice!!"

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Final. You Must Learn to be Slow in a Hurry"......Wyatt Earp

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Remember, conditioner over anything. I’d stay away from the straight oils. Saddle soap has always been my go to for true conditioning and reviving old rawhide. I would definitely ask at Ed’s.
    If it’s one of the old suede jackets it’ll be a real challenge. Good luck.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Iíd look into Lexol. You can get it at Walmart and itís recommended for Amit if leather products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! It’s an old school black leather motorcycle jacket. No cracks or even worn off areas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	881B187A-09DB-4668-A1EA-872CC448BB73.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	106310  
    Last edited by mprice; June 8th, 2021 at 11:37 AM.

T-Rigger

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Ditto on LEXOL products on all NON-suede leather: Lexol pH Leather Cleaner; Lexol Leather Conditioner. Great jacket! Only one (wealthy) kid in our Catholic elementary school had one - all us guys were green with envy! He never got close to a motorcycle in his entire life.