CS

User Info Menu

Cold bore shot from my RARF

Anyone else have a rim fire that is consistently off the very first shot? Shooting federal gold medal match. I crank it up 1.5 moa and left 2 moa, hit the bull, then put knobs back to zero and continue drilling the same hole as first shot. Let rifle rest and itís back to square one.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I had a RARF but in 22 WMR. it did not perform like that. It actually shot tight groups often. No adjustment needed

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I knew someone that did. He would clean his gun, then fire a shot before putting it away.
    "Be water, my friend..."

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

In my experience, cold bore/fouled bore are two different issues.

Some rifles do that. I've known some highly competent riflemen up to national school instructor/LE instructor level that have just accepted that certain rifle/ammo combos have a cold bore shift that is unfortunate.

You can do what you've done and learn it, compensate for it, and truck on - or start over.

I don't buy into fouled bores any longer after getting a bore scope and seeing some corrosion/fouling on various guns. I clean it till its clean, run an oiled patch through, and then a final patch to try and leave a light coat in there. I haven't seen any issues across several rifles with this procedure.

I'd try a couple other brands of ammo if you can get them in this world gone crazy to see if the shift is as pronounced, if you can get the same or better accuracy.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have heard before that you need to warm a rifle barrel up by firing a few shots through it. Iíve also heard the same when switching brands or types of ammo but personally that hasnít been my experience. I canít say Iíve ever noticed the first shot being off with a .22lr
    Last edited by Jstudz220; June 10th, 2021 at 04:26 AM.

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

IIRC... there was a very technical article in either Precision Shooting or The Accurate Rifle about this problem. Unfortunately, I lost all my copies in Katrina. Anyone else still have them?
    "Be water, my friend..."

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

In the rimfire world what you are describing is caused by a carbon ring in the chamber.

A good scrubbing of the chamber should remedy the problem.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin