Meplat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Favorite/ Best brand of range ammo

    Whatís your go to range ammo for consistent reliability and performance? Iíve always been a fan of Winchester white box for pistols and rifle rounds and CCI for rimfire.

    I also used to be a big fan of federal ammo and still am as far as deffensive ammo and rifle rounds are concerned but lately Iíve gotten a good bit of subpar pistol and .22 ammo from federal. I had a few boxes of 115gr federal American eagle that was so bad it wasnít even strong enough to cycle the slide and eject the spent case. I went through 3 brand new 50rd boxes like this and only about every 7th or 8th round was actually powerful enough to cycle the slide. Also had a box of CCI blazer ammunition 9mm that came with 2 rounds with the bullets seated down about double the rest of the rounds. At first it looks like two rounds of 9 mm short. I wasnít going to risk firing it but Iím almost certain the pressure from those rounds wouldíve been way too much. Also had an 800rd range pack that about every 5th round would not fire regardless of how many times I re loaded it and struck the primers. This made me a lot nervous since I have a good bit of federal defense ammo some old some new and 223/5.56 all new. I decided to test a little bit of everything federal that I had that was purchased this year and all of the deffensive ammo and rifle ammo performed just fine.

    whatís your experience been with ammo quality as of late.

  2. #2
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Speer Lawman is some of the best generic range ammunition available.

    Better range ammunition comes from smaller manufacturers at a significant cost increase.

    For me, I find these to be the best:
    Speer Lawman
    Federal American Eagle
    Federal Champion
    CCI Blazer Brass

    I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box and it’s not great. The only brass cased ammunition I’ve shot worse than WWB is the Cabela’s brand Herters.

    For .223/556, I stick with Federal.

  3. #3
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Speer Lawman is some of the best generic range ammunition available.

    Better range ammunition comes from smaller manufacturers at a significant cost increase.

    For me, I find these to be the best:
    Speer Lawman
    Federal American Eagle
    Federal Champion
    CCI Blazer Brass

    I have shot thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box and it’s not great. The only brass cased ammunition I’ve shot worse than WWB is the Cabela’s brand Herters.

    For .223/556, I stick with Federal.
    I would agree Speer lawman is definitely some good ammo, I like the tmj it’s really clean burning. The other three not so much at least not since all of this madness has started. Seems the reviews on Winchester white box are mixed. It’s always been great for me and I always buy it when available

  4. #4
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstudz220 View Post
    I would agree Speer lawman is definitely some good ammo, I like the tmj it’s really clean burning. The other three not so much at least not since all of this madness has started. Seems the reviews on Winchester white box are mixed. It’s always been great for me and I always buy it when available
    I’ve yet to have an issue with any of the four. I haven’t bought ammunition since Q3 of 2020, so I can’t attest to current quality, but I would estimate that I’ve fired close to 12,000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 115gr 9mm since 2017. I’ve yet to experience any issues with ammunition from Federal/CCI/Speer.

    I would not doubt there are QC issues with anything in these times though.

  5. #5
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    My go-to used to be hornady black 75gr and Frontier 75gr
    Id get MOA or better with Black

  6. #6
    La. CHP Instructor #409

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    My 3 favorites are.

    Speer Lawman
    Federal American Eagle
    Hornady TAP

  7. #7
    LSP Instructor #2119

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    I'm picky about defensive rounds (HST or GTFO) and 22lr (Aguila or Federal) but for regular ol' range ammo, I'll shoot anything I can stuff into my pistol LOL

    Edit: I lied, as soon as I posted this I realized I actually do hate Winchester and Wolf steel-cased rounds.
    Last edited by southerncanuck; June 11th, 2021 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by southerncanuck View Post
    I'm picky about defensive rounds (HST or GTFO) and 22lr (Aguila or Federal) but for regular ol' range ammo, I'll shoot anything I can stuff into my pistol LOL

    Edit: I lied, as soon as I posted this I realized I actually do hate Winchester and Wolf steel-cased rounds.
    My G19.5 will shoot wolf and Winchester steel with zero issues as long as I use factory glock mags. Magpul mags will choke on steel every time. For me anyways

  9. #9
    La. CHP Instructor #409

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    My G19.5 will shoot wolf and Winchester steel with zero issues as long as I use factory glock mags. Magpul mags will choke on steel every time. For me anyways
    You "May" have extractor issues if you shoot a high round count with steel cased ammunition.

  10. #10
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I shoot federal eagle


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •