Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Origin

Marksman

User Info Menu

Blue Origin

Anybody else see/watch the flight this morning on the news? I cant stand jeff bezos but I must say it was a good accomplishment by his company.
    Last edited by flyboy; July 20th, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!
    Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!
    Still got the shovel!

Ready, Shoot, Aim!

User Info Menu

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have more trust and faith in Elon Musk owner and creator of Space Ex and Richard Branson
    owner creator of the Virgin Galactic company.
    Still got the shovel!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wouldn't this be bad for climate change?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Briefly saw reports and video of takeoff and landing……..Damn that seemed like a very rough landing to me!! Otherwise not really interested at all!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman26 View Post
    Briefly saw reports and video of takeoff and landing……..Damn that seemed like a very rough landing to me!!
    Seemed that way to me as well.
    Still got the shovel!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    Seemed that way to me as well.
    I believe the puff of dust at the end was actually thrusters firing a few feet before "splashdown" to actually ease the contact, but it made it look like a harder landing than it actually was.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Wouldn't this be bad for climate change?
    It burns O2 and H2 and the exhaust is mostly water so no real climate impact.

I didn't see thruster on the capsule landing but I was in a meeting at the time so it was hard to watch the whole video and focus on it. I thought the booster rocket itself landed with thrusters and it didn't seem that bad and the capsule landed under parachutes?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrxfn View Post
    I didn't see thruster on the capsule landing but I was in a meeting at the time so it was hard to watch the whole video and focus on it. I thought the booster rocket itself landed with thrusters and it didn't seem that bad and the capsule landed under parachutes?
    I just checked with my friend who works for Blue Origin (yep, she's an actual Rocket Scientist) and she confirmed that they do have a "system that cushions the landing right before it touches down". So, thrusters may not be the correct terminology, but some sort of propulsion system shot off right before touch down.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My best friends son is a stir weld friction engineer in Orlando for them. He toured the facility and he was blown away. They are just practicing there. I wish old bezo would have squirted out the tip top of the space probe after landing.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim