CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Info Menu

DWI and gun ownership laws

I have a question that a close friend of mine is having a problem finding answers. We've looked all over google.....

He was charged with a DWIs back in 1994 his 1st offense. Again in 1995 his 2nd offense. In 1997 he was stopped and cited for his 3rd offense DWI.

He's applying for CCW and requested a copy of his rap sheet. It shows the 1996 arrest as being a felon because it was his 3rd.

Will this prevent CCW permit is one question. The 2nd is can he legally own firearms with a DWI felon charge?

They were purchased back in 2006 when Cabellas did background checks and if nothing came back in 5 days they gave you the guns.

Looking on the internet it's vague and appears that he can own a firearm after 10 years has passed since conviction of DWI....

Oh, by the way he stopped drinking in Jan 2000,

Marksman

User Info Menu

"Asking for a friend"

User Info Menu

Yes....I know that sounds fake but it's a fact....LOL

Marksman

User Info Menu

I would contact an attorney that is very knowledgable in firearm laws for the answer.
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!
    Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!
    Still got the shovel!

Marksman

User Info Menu

http://www.leaac.com/faq-resources/g...na-conviction/

Seems like DWI doesn't stop you from owning a gun. Now the permit might be a different story.

LSP Instructor #2119

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Double-check LRS 40:1379.3

C. To qualify for a concealed handgun permit, a Louisiana resident shall:

(6) Not be ineligible to possess a firearm by virtue of having been convicted of a felony. A conviction for a felony offense which has been expunged prior to August 1, 2014, pursuant to the provisions of R.S. 44:9 or on or after August 1, 2014, pursuant to Title XXXIV of the Code of Criminal Procedure shall not be considered a conviction for the purposes of this Paragraph if ten years have elapsed since the completion of the resident's probation, parole, or suspended sentence.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I am not a lawyer but contact one familiar with this type of research. Believe your friend (?) would have to contact any and all courts that were involved in any type of arrest / conviction / dismissal / divource / etc. and get documented proof showing disposition of any and all cases. Again documented proof of disposition no mater the time frame as to when the cases were started or cleared. Do not try and sneak anything by the processing by not giving full disclosure because of time lost waiting / loss of all moneys spent for classes and processing as well as being charged for not being truthfull on the application form because the signee swore to all info as being truthfull. .................................................. ............................ drill sgt.

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drill sgt View Post
    I am not a lawyer but contact one familiar with this type of research. Believe your friend (?) would have to contact any and all courts that were involved in any type of arrest / conviction / dismissal / divource / etc. and get documented proof showing disposition of any and all cases. Again documented proof of disposition no mater the time frame as to when the cases were started or cleared. Do not try and sneak anything by the processing by not giving full disclosure because of time lost waiting / loss of all moneys spent for classes and processing as well as being charged for not being truthfull on the application form because the signee swore to all info as being truthfull. .................................................. ............................ drill sgt.
    Good advice from a old guy
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jr70895 View Post
    Oh, by the way he stopped drinking in Jan 2000,
    Good for him! 21 years sober is quite a huge accomplishment. Addiction is a hard thing to conquer. I’m glad to hear your friend was able to do it.
    Formerly known as "Stephen WhoDat"
    God Bless Our Troops!

Infantryman

User Info Menu

The 3rd DWI makes anyone a Felon, but I think after 7 years it gets "expunged". You can always check with your District Attorney.