Meplat

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Whole house generator recommendations

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of a whole house generator. I see a 24kw by Generac. Any one have one of these. Does anyone know a place with honest reviews of the different manufacturers? Ours will be natural gas.
    No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you are probably right !!

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by usmc-nav View Post
    My wife and I are in the beginning stages of a whole house generator. I see a 24kw by Generac. Any one have one of these. Does anyone know a place with honest reviews of the different manufacturers? Ours will be natural gas.
    My family has the 24kw natural gas version and has been using it since Sunday afternoon. Another 2 family members have the 22kw (I think - it's one size smaller than the 24kw) and have been using it as well.

Everyone has had great luck with it and no problems. I've been working before from two of the houses and had the generator kick on for it's monthly or weekly few minutes of running and the transition is almost not noticeable.

All in all, everyone that I know that has them highly recommends them.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Cryptocurrency? Free $25 for giving it a shot! (Click Here)

Marksman

User Info Menu

Generac seems to be the way to go. No one I know with them has had problems. My aunt has a Briggs and Stratton and has had nothing but problems with it. It has broken twice since it was needed on Sunday, for what it’s worth.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Generac or Kohler is the way to go. Both brands are very low maintenance and easy to service. We sell the Kohler versions and I often hear they are the only ones comparable to Generac. See which one you can find a better price on and go with that one. You can’t go wrong with either brand. I don’t know about the warranty on a Generac, but Kohler has a base warranty of 5 years or 2000 hours, with options to buy extended warranties. My family have all been using natural gas Kohlers for years with no issues. Runs the whole house, and even the neighbor’s house if need be.

Edit: The model my dad has on his house is a Kohler 20RESA. We’ve been running my parents’ entire house since the power in Kenner went out during the heavy winds. No problems so far. We have shut it down a couple times just to check things out and make sure it had enough oil. Other than that, we’ve been staying here with both my parents, my fiancée and I, my sister, her husband, and their two kids and we’ve been living like the power was never lost.
    Last edited by MetalVendor; September 1st, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
    Formerly known as "Stephen WhoDat"
    God Bless Our Troops!

Marksman

User Info Menu

i have bout 10 coworkers that have them 7 of them love them, 3 of them have no power right now, 2 of them keep thowing error codes and will run but not power up pannel..the other has low gas flow and possibly will need to try to get a bigger regulator at the street but that may not fix it... they were told 2 weeks before a rep/service man can get out there.... they both now using protable 6500watt gens..

edit,forgot about the one with the low flow gas pressure cut off
    Last edited by Bigchillin83; September 1st, 2021 at 10:24 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My sister has a 24kw generac and they seem to really enjoy them. I was considering doing this myself last year and opted not to regrettably now. Everyone I spoke to recommended me to the generac brand.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

My wife's Aunt has Generac and it has been good to go.
    My friend has Kohler he is aslo happy.
    Generac used to many years ago buy engines But now make their own. They have come a long way in quality.
    I am going to go Generac when I do but do not think Kohler woukd be out. Whatever of the 2 would be better deal installed price wise would lean me that way.
    As think quality is very close on both lime tossing a coin or at least what my buddy says who does them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for the replies.
    No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you are probably right !!

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have a Generac 17KW air cooled and my parents have a 22KW. Both were installed in 2009 after Gustave. Mine has been churning along since Sunday mid afternoon only stopping for an oil change. Theirs was taken out by flying debris and I was unable to get it running when there yesterday. I found the parts I needed for theirs in Lake Charles yesterday and will try to get it going today. One of the best investments I have made. Just not losing the freezers is one of the best benefits. I did hear at the Generac dealer yesterday that there is a 44 week lead time. Basically you pay now and get a genny in a year.
    Last edited by jneubig; September 2nd, 2021 at 05:45 AM.

Pops

User Info Menu

I have a 22kw Generac. It was so nice to hear that thing crank up 10 seconds after the power went out Sunday night. It ran without a problem until yesterday when the power came back on. The 22kw powered my whole house including central A/C without an issue. We purchased from Optimize and had them do the install. It was one of the best experiences I have had with a purchase/install. You will need a high flow gas meter installed at your house or your generator may starve for gas. Check with you gas supplier on that change out.
    Best of all was not having to worry about scavenging for gasoline.

Lead time is very long, my sister order one back in May for a installation slated for October.
    Last edited by mforsta; September 2nd, 2021 at 06:25 AM.