Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tractor input!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
    The single best upgrade I did was add a third function to the front end loader to use a grapple. That grapple has been worth it's weight for cleaning up storm debris.
    That's great info and food for thought.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

BSGA

User Info Menu

I've used virtually every make and model out there for one thing or another for over 50 yrs. I grew up in a farming family, so tractors have been a part of all my life. Mostly, it's like Ford V Chevy, personal preference, but a few things. If you're doing contractor type work, shuttle shift is the way to go. Hydro V mech. meh, pick your poison. Hydro is awesome, but if it breaks, not every shop can repair it right, you won't be able to do it right, and if you do have to repair it, get your checkbook out and ready for a big hit. They are great if you don't like using a clutch. Mechanical, you can repair it yourself if you can split the tractor. I'll never have another tractor without a front end loader, period! 4X4? Meh, again, nice to have, and 4X4 will do 40% more work than a 2X4 in the same HP. Otherwise, if it's sloppy enough to need 4X4, maybe you shouldn't be there! Only valid reason for 4X4 beyond what I mentioned above, is a farmer, or a rancher that HAS to feed cows when it's wet. Otherwise, much like the hydro. It'll cost 8000 more for the 4X4, and if it breaks, again, get your checkbook ready for a big hit. Otherwise, go ahead and spend your money anyway you see fit and believe the interweb farmers if you like. Best advice for most, talk to a contractor and get their take. That's the type of work most small property owners are doing, and said contractors use these machines every day to make a living.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the input. I’m honestly kind of on the fence with going with something a little cheaper like the Massey Ferguson. Locally there’s a 35hp, new with backhoe attachment for $24k (0% financing). Every used Kubota in my cash price range (sub $10k) sells quickly if it’s a fair deal

On Target

User Info Menu

I found myself in the same position as you a lil over a year ago. Needed one for limited use, def. didn't want to spend "new tractor" money. Found a 10 year old Kubota, 35 hp 4X4 with loader. Couldn't be happier with it. Sitting at 1000 hours now, performed the fluid change, and had one seal leaking on shift rod, no other issues. As previously stated, spend the extra on the 4X4 and loader. Also, mine has the geared transmission, and it really isn't a terribly big deal to me. Full disclosure, I've never operated one with the hydro trans. Maybe it would be a big deal.... Also, keep in mind, anything you buy new will run DEF and have the additional emission restrictions.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Ahh yea you are right the newer ones have a re-gen setting after they have so much % soot in exhaust you have to rev it up to 1500rpm and it cleans it for like 15 mins, mine does it about every 50-60 hours, never really notice it cause it does it while I’m using it, I do not have to use def fluid but they do recomend low sulfur, but I have ran quite a bit of red fuel in it with no problem

Marksman

User Info Menu

I bought my current tractor new in 2008. Looked at all of them and decided on Mahindra.
    Very equivalent to kubota in capacity and was about 3 grand less. Lots of parts and dealer availability and they have been around for a long time.
    The deer was identical in price but way less tractor for the money. Curb weight was 500 less, half the hydraulic flow and 500 pounds less on front lift capacity. Paying for a green paint job and a name wasn’t what I wanted- price was within $100 to mahindra.
    Full size Tractors are a different game but for a compact, mahindra had the edge.
    That was over 10 years ago and maybe it’s a bit different now.
    There is a reason the MF is cheap, wasn’t in the same league then, lots of problems.
    4wd is a must if you plan to really use the loader and loader is an absolute must.
    I have changed 1 battery, sleeved a bent tie rod( ran in large hole and bent the rod getting tractor out) and broke the water drain in a brush pile. That’s it.
    Shuttle is good, hydro is easier but pricey when it has an issue, gear is simple and cheap to fix 20+ years down the road.
    Mahindra 2816 with loader- gear drive.
    Went from a yammer 24hp 2wd to it and 12 years later still made the right decision.
    It’s all about what you need. I needed a max width of 5’ for trails which limited my size choices.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Mahindra is good , I have put my 30 hp kioti through hell since 2007 and it is still running great . Some people buy john deere because they think it is American made but as my neighbor found out j d has more factories in other countries than the u s . His jd is a yanmar with $4000 extra for green paint .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

I bought a new Kubota 55 hp about 3 years ago, 4 wd and a front loader are must haves.
    As for transmissions; if you want easy driveability go with the hydrostatic, if you want max power to the ground go gear. A clutch is much less expensive to replace, if ever needed than repair a hydro drive. Choose something where you can easily get maintenance parts and accessories.
    Why .45? Because they don't make a .46!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nothing is American maid anymore… nothing lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Mahindra is good , I have put my 30 hp kioti through hell since 2007 and it is still running great . Some people buy john deere because they think it is American made but as my neighbor found out j d has more factories in other countries than the u s . His jd is a yanmar with $4000 extra for green paint .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have had a Kubota since about 2005. It runs great and other than user-related issue has had no problems. It is 4WD with a manual gear shift and it is a pain in the ass sometimes but you get used to it. I can't comment on hydro and PTO usage but I didn't have an issue when bush hogging. Front-loaders are a godsend and you can use them for more than just moving dirt, I have used it to unload freight from trucks for stuff I have ordered, used it to smooth dirt, and also as a rake to push grass clippings into a pile for burning.

One thing I found is that the fluid window has a white backer to it so when you look at it the white makes it look like you have water in the oil but you don't. Found that out after changing everything and finding out it was fine.