Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

User Info Menu

Good reads...

Quote Originally Posted by honestlou View Post
    I'm not familiar with the book mentioned earlier in the thread, but I highly recommend "One Second After". It's a good read, entertaining, but gives a realistic picture of what life would be like in the U.S. if the grid went down. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-.../dp/0765327252

Have any of y'all watched "Naked and Afraid"? They drop a couple of people off somewhere remote, no clothes, just one item each, and they try to survive for three weeks. They usually bring a firestarter, a knife, or a pot. I haven't watched it a lot, but from memory they usually lose 15-20 pounds over three weeks. Very few thrive enough to think they could go on for any length of time.
    I read the book... Entertaining and YES... An Eye Opener...

Another good book is: Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse

Lots of food for thought...

User Info Menu

I never really expected the city water to go down,but it did. I have 4 women, 2 men and one boy normally living here but added 2 more males and another daughter. Thank goodness I collect rainwater, 800 gallons worth. At least we could flush as I had a dozen 5 gal buckets.they no longer chuckle at my prepping. Iím 75 now, they better learn.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Many people would die once everything runs out.The strong will survive longer but something's going to get you soon are later.
    The direction the world is headed with the New World Order it may happen,hope not but who knows for sure,except the Global Elite that are behind all this.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jstudz220 View Post
    Has anyone here had the opportunity to do SERE training? Typically only special forces do the training with the exception of personnel taking an IA billet or going TAD.
    I didn't take it, but if the opportunity arose, I'd love to do it. I remember seeing someone post that were a SERE instructor in the Navy. I wonder if said Bayoushooter would be willing to teach an individual or even a small group?
    Last edited by KDerekT83; Yesterday at 08:35 AM.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scoutgunner View Post
    I never really expected the city water to go down,but it did. I have 4 women, 2 men and one boy normally living here but added 2 more males and another daughter. Thank goodness I collect rainwater, 800 gallons worth. At least we could flush as I had a dozen 5 gal buckets.they no longer chuckle at my prepping. I’m 75 now, they better learn.
    My wife always fills a tub or two with water in case we lose water, and keeps a pot or bucket nearby, just in case

Marksman

User Info Menu

Best thing to do is to get he $^#& away from large population centers. You are better off in the woods in the middle no where with supplies than staying around a city where people will be killing each other. Just look at this last storm. People where killing each other over gas.

I have spent nights in the woods of LA sleeping a make shift hut of palmetto leaves. It is doable. Worst part is the mosquitos. You also have to keep you feet dry or you will get foot rot. Not a good thing. I am a Eagle Scout and have taken numerous military survival course when I was younger.

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Short term survival is very doable for a lot of people . It's when things stretch into months and longer that your plans start to go to hell .
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    Short term survival is very doable for a lot of people . It's when things stretch into months and longer that your plans start to go to hell .

Yep. If anyone gets a chance they should watch the movie "The Day After". Although fiction, I would think that similar things would happen with a grid down situation.
    I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!
    Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!
    Still got the shovel!

Time Traveler

User Info Menu

Skill sharing

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    I didn't take it, but if the opportunity arose, I'd love to do it. I remember seeing someone post that were a SERE instructor in the Navy. I wonder if said Bayoushooter would be willing to teach an individual or even a small group?
    I'd like to consider getting together with a very small group to share ideas for "urban readiness". Although my family has some farm acreage in NE Louisiana, my home is here and ALL of my resources are within 10 yards of my current seated position. Over the years I've gathered some reasonable gear for "all the above" and would be willing to talk about it with a couple like minded fellas. The fellow that has access to the Rx pad (and physicians, dentists, surgeons, etc) is like gold for me. I rotate a stash of various antibiotics but wouldn't be worth a damn at patching up a sucking chest wound (God forbid)!!! It'd be cool to find a small group where there are some really high value skillsets (ie SERE) that could be shared and an unshakable trust among those sharing them. Message me if this is a good idea!