Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Info Menu

I am a retired System Tech from SCB/Bellsouth/AT&T. At one time, we ran our own 5 or 6 foot galvanized steel ground rods if the power ground was not there yet or was too far from where we wanted to put our protector. But in the late 70s early 80s, we were commanded to use only the power ground. This was because of a possible difference in electrical potential from two ground locations even using the same type of ground rods. One location could be solid dirt while the other could be shells/brick-brack or something else not as grounded as the other. A small difference will kill you. If there was no power installed yet, we were to come back when it was. So I think that installer did exactly what he was supposed to do.

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randy.01 View Post
    This was because of a possible difference in electrical potential from two ground locations even using the same type of ground rods. One location could be solid dirt while the other could be shells/brick-brack or something else not as grounded as the other. A small difference will kill you. If there was no power installed yet, we were to come back when it was. So I think that installer did exactly what he was supposed to do.
    This difference of potential is called " Step potential " and really comes into play under fault conditions when current is flowing through the ground .
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

Marksman

User Info Menu

Easy install.. 8ft copper ground rod and a 1 gallon jug full of regular tap water. No driving with hammers required. Jab rod into ground -- remove rod -- fill hole with water -- jab rod into ground -- fill hole with a water -- keep doing this till ground rod totally installed. Some of you are saying that this will not work.. Trust me that this will work unless ground is filled with solid rock.. Have installed at least 4 ground rods using this method in about 1/2 hours time. For antenna poles / towers / extra seperate grounding for radio equipment ............................................... drill sgt

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Who said it wouldn't work ?
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .