Meplat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I'm not really concerned with the lack of a manual safety when these exist.



    I think you missed the point , the mod 29 and most revolvers produced back then had mechanisms to prevent discharges from dropped guns, they were designed as drop safe as Glocks . Those parts were for the same purpose as those you shared but the jest of my story is back then some people thought they were unnecessary because real gun men didn't drop their guns . As far as the external safety no external safety debate goes it's rediculace . If you like one and practice enough that you instantly disingage it have one If you don't like them or don't have the muscle memory or time to develop it don't have one .
    That said don't rely on an external safety to stop an accidental discharge from dropping because chances are it will not be on safety when dropped .
    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ozarkpugs; October 13th, 2021 at 07:59 PM.

  2. #42
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    I think you missed the point , the mod 29 and most revolvers produced back then had mechanisms to prevent discharges from dropped guns, they were designed as drop safe as Glocks . Those parts were for the same purpose as those you shared but the jest of my story is back then some people thought they were unnecessary because real gun men didn't drop their guns . As far as the external safety no external safety debate goes it's rediculace . If you like one and practice enough that you instantly disingage it have one If you don't like them or don't have the muscle memory or time to develop it don't have one .

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
    Ah, I'm tracking now.

    External thumb safeties are only necessary on SAO pistols, for obvious reasons.

    The lack of a firing pin block is how a Range Officer was killed recently when a competitor dropped their Shadow 2.

  3. #43
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    No you don't seem to get it . Whether it's sa or da the external safety should not to be relied on or even discussed as a dropped gun discharge prevention . The internal firing pin block / hammer block is there for that reason . The mod 29 doesn't have an external safety , it was the hammer safety the gunsmith was leaving out because he didn't think it was needed. My point was all guns need an internal block of some sort to stop pin / hammer - primer contact until trigger is pressed . The external safety is for a whole different purpose and should only be used by people who feel the need for one and who is profetiont enough with their gun that it is manipulated instinctively .

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    so how did a mod 29 revolver hammer block get tied into a glock stiker fire firing pin block? maybe i missed a few post...

    did the mod 29 not come with a 1/2 cock? or was that deleted also?
    Last edited by Bigchillin83; October 14th, 2021 at 03:16 AM.

  5. #45
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchillin83 View Post
    so how did a mod 29 revolver hammer block get tied into a glock stiker fire firing pin block? maybe i missed a few post...

    did the mod 29 not come with a 1/2 cock? or was that deleted also?
    The mod 29 is a S&W double action revolver and doesn't have a half cock . S&W put hammer blocks in their guns mid 50s others waited untill 70 s to make them "safe to drop " . The point is companies and most shooters saw a need for a drop safety half a century ago but some shooters felt proper gun handling was all that was needed . In my opinion guns should not be dropped or thrown but should be safe from discharge if they are . Saying a gun doesn't need a hammer/ pin safety because if you handle the gun properly it will not go off is akin to saying cars don't need seatbelts because if you are a proficient driver you won't wreck.

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

  6. #46
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    No you don't seem to get it . Whether it's sa or da the external safety should not to be relied on or even discussed as a dropped gun discharge prevention . The internal firing pin block / hammer block is there for that reason . The mod 29 doesn't have an external safety , it was the hammer safety the gunsmith was leaving out because he didn't think it was needed. My point was all guns need an internal block of some sort to stop pin / hammer - primer contact until trigger is pressed . The external safety is for a whole different purpose and should only be used by people who feel the need for one and who is profetiont enough with their gun that it is manipulated instinctively .

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
    I'm speaking about why a firing pin block exists and why it is important. What did you think I was talking about?

  7. #47
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I'm speaking about why a firing pin block exists and why it is important. What did you think I was talking about?
    In #38 I was discussing a hammer/ pin block being nessesary and how some people thought any kind of safety was not nessesary because if you handled the gun properly it was not needed . In #41 you stated you were not concerned about a manual safety because of these and shared several pictures of mechanisms to prevent discharges if dropped . I might have gotten the wrong impression and thought you were saying a manual safety on a pistol was to prevent it from discharging when dropped . That is what the pin safety or block is for and manual safety or not should be in every pistol or revolver and functional . I know the manual safety is what keeps rifles from discharging if dropped or jarred along with accidental trigger pull but on handguns drop safety should be an internal mechanism not one that can be on or off . As far as manual safety goes I don't think all pistols should have to have them. That is a matter of personal preference .

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

  8. #48
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Take it as a misunderstanding of when you said

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    First off I personally like a safety lever on my semi auto pistols BUT I believe most of the accidents from dropping pistols would not be eliminated if all guns had safeties
    I was under the assumption you were speaking about external mechanical safeties.

  9. #49
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Take it as a misunderstanding of when you said



    I was under the assumption you were speaking about external mechanical safeties.
    I see . Just the opposite , I don't think manual safeties should ever be considered protection against accidental discharge from being dropped .

    Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

  10. #50
    Salt

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstudz220 View Post
    just curious here but where did you get me saying everyone should carry a Glock and as you put it they are * everyone’s favorite flavor*
    Your post was polarizing to pro and anti opinions. There are a good deal of reasons why folks do no like Glocks: and alternatively many reasons why they do like them. The argument always swings hard among the polarized, but the truth is there are valid merits to folks who are anti-Glock and fanboys. Someone usually chimes in with "state specific issues with Glocks" and then someone does and then fanboys get triggered. This is why the conversation is difficult due to bias and polarized thinking. My comments are not punching down on you as much as they are highlighting the irony of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •