Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Squirrel Hunting

Looking for a place to hunt squirrel and rabbit mainly. Kinda tired of Sherburne, love the place but dang it gets tough unless I get the boat out. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m in Denham Springs but open to drive a couple hours.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.". Thomas Jefferson

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Beat squirrel hunting I’ve seen is in Attakkapas WMA.

Marksman

User Info Menu

You live right by the Maurpas management area. Get a canoe and paddle to any ridge with a cluster of oaks that are producing. Should bag a limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashler View Post
    Looking for a place to hunt squirrel and rabbit mainly. Kinda tired of Sherburne, love the place but dang it gets tough unless I get the boat out. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m in Denham Springs but open to drive a couple hours.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Got a canoe I am familiar with boat launch at St James river Blind River right on 61. Guess I’ll put in there and paddle around.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.". Thomas Jefferson

Marksman

User Info Menu

I also have been told that you can walk next the rail tracks at the check in station near I-10 and Airline. First Gramercy exit coming from Baton Rouge. If you go by boat stay on the smaller canals. Blind River is too dangerous to attempt a canoe trip. People in other boats will swamp you.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    Beat squirrel hunting I’ve seen is in Attakkapas WMA.
    Is that only accessible by boat?

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

I do it all solo can’t talk any buddies in to squirrel huntin only want to shoot deer. Can’t wait for my son the get a little older to bring out with me, gonna teach him to love squirrel, and I could use a hand moving a 17’ canoe around. Thanks for any input. Gonna hit Sherburne early next week then Marepaus second half.

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hashler View Post
    Is that only accessible by boat?
    There could be an access point I'm not aware of, but I'm pretty sure it's boat access only. And way further than I'd want to paddle from any launch.