Any suggestions for a rugged inexpensive scope?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2006
    River Ridge
    Hi all,

The eater-of-scopes has done it again: this time it trashed a cheap-o NC Star, last time it ate my Leupold. Does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive scope that will stand up to a big rifle with a pretty heavy kick (300 Weatherby Mag)?

Thanks!

Edit: Pictures of the evil thing. It's black. And it has a bipod (yeah, that's right, I riced up my deer rifle). If there are any Californians here, they should start running before it becomes sentient and wipes them out - there's no way they can ban it quick enough!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Louis Corkern

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2006
    Franklinton
    Scopes

Hello everyone,

I really hate to bring this up but I have been there too.... First your rifle ate your leupold then the NC Star. Now you looking at putting a SS on it? I understand the $ basis but if you added all 3 of them scopes up it would not be CHEAP correct? Why not just spend the money on a niteforce or equilivant and then you would be DONE purchasing scopes for this rifle.

I have friends and shooting contacts that have lots of trigger time on "heavy recoil" and "Big muzzle blast" weapon systems and I personally have never had a problem with the niteforce on either the 408CT or the 50BMG.

Hope you find one that works for you. Thanks--Louis Corkern

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Disclaimer on my Super Sniper recommendation.

For quality glass, I own a Leupold Var X II, Bushnell Elite, and the aforementioned Super Sniper. The SS is very well built but it would not be my first choice in low light hunting conditions. The Leuy & Bushnell are brighter when used at dusk (I think the term is 'light collecting') and probably has something to do with lens coatings. I bought the SS for target shooting and varmint hunting and couldn't be happier. If your rifle is for deer hunting, the SS might not be the best choice.

Be sure to check out some of the SS reviews on the major gun boards.

7mmremmag

small time hero
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    dont leupolds have unlimited lifetime warranties?

yes they do. when I was 14 and just started huntin i was bored and took the scope apart in my stand and touched the reticle and it broke..lol I told my mom I dropped the gun and we sent it off to the leupold company and they redid eveything for FREE and had it back in 3 weeks! :D

jhh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2006
    River Ridge
    yes they do. when I was 14 and just started huntin i was bored and took the scope apart in my stand and touched the reticle and it broke..lol I told my mom I dropped the gun and we sent it off to the leupold company and they redid eveything for FREE and had it back in 3 weeks! :D

Actually I know about the warranty on them - I'm just not sure they'll cover mine since I'm not the original owner (it's a hand me down), and it's probably close to 30 years old. It's also a little on the beat up side. If by some wild chance they do replace it, I'll put it back on my Colt Sauer 7mm mag and leave it there.

The Mk V (aka scope eater) is a low budget project: the nice ones new from Weatherby cost well in excess of 2,500$ with a fancy stock and no scope - so I decided to see if I can put a comparable one together for less. So far I'm still going to be under 1,000$ even with a nice stock.

The stock... this is going to be my next big project when it arrives, but I've decided to finish one myself. The original synthetic one on the Mk V is great for hunting and the field, and I won't feel bad if I break it, but it's just ugly.

This is what I have in mind currently (is that not a gorgeous piece of wood?):

montecarlo.jpg

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/ has good prices on what looks like really nice unfinished stocks.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee
    Built To Last Generations — Leupold and Stevens, Inc. is a family owned, fourth generation company that has been manufacturing precision optical products in the U.S. for nearly 100 years. Leupold’s success has been built on our commitment to your absolute satisfaction and our commitment to the shooting sports. It’s for these reasons that we offer the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

If any Leupold Golden Ring product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is needed. No time limit applies.

There is only one way to void the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee: unfortunately, we cannot honor the guarantee of scopes that have been disassembled, modified, or worked on by anyone not authorized by Leupold. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, contact Leupold Technical Service before having any work or repairs done to your valuable Leupold optics. Call 503-526-1400 or write to us. See our Contact page for e-mail contact information.

There ya go

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    ive been reading alot of good stuff about muellers on rfc but then i realized what caliber you're wanting to put it on :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom