SBR Planning/Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know I have to get the Form 1 filled out, CLEO signed, picture, prints etc but doesn't the LSP have to approve it as well? Is there a form for the state that I have to send in? Is it available online? What's the expected wait period for that to be taken care of?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yes there are two forms. State transfer and state registration.

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmReg.pdf

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmTransfer.pdf

The approved transfer form must be included with your Form 4. The registration form is not. It is filled out once you take possession. Your FFL will need to submit the transfer form.

Are you making a Form 1 SBR or taking possession of a SBR from someone else on a Form 4?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Making a SBR would be a Form 1 not a Form 4. It is currently taking the ATF about 6 weeks to approve a Form 1. It took me eight weeks to get the Sheriff signature in EBR. However, YMMV.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm considering going the corporate route for an SBR and some cans, is that faster or better? which form is involved with that? I still need to figure out the details on setting it up, I have a buddy who is a gun nut and an attorney so i was gonna speak with him about forming it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The corporate or trust route is exactly the same forms. Just instead of putting your name you put the name of the LLC/trust. Then you skip the sheriff signature and the fingerprint cards. You will need to include copies of your trust or corp paperwork when submitting the forms to the ATF. I plan to use this method on my next purchase since it took so long to get the signoff from the sheriff.

Be aware, forming a trust in Louisiana is different than any other state in the country due to our Napoleonic Code system. You will need to find a lawyer that can help you with it. The Quicken Willmaker software most people use will NOT work in Louisiana.

Forming an LLC is very easy but requires a yearly fee to maintain it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Making a SBR would be a Form 1 not a Form 4. It is currently taking the ATF about 6 weeks to approve a Form 1. It took me eight weeks to get the Sheriff signature in EBR. However, YMMV.

You're right. I had form1 bookmarked but for some reason wrote form4

does this mean i only have to do the LSP registration form after i receive the stamp and not the transfer form prior to?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You should contact Will at Red Stick Firearms or (even better) Kevin at Precision Firearms. I haven't registered an SBR yet so I don't know the exact process. I am about 50% certain that SBRs must be done through a Class 3 dealer or Louisiana State Police won't approve it. You can't just make one yourself in Louisiana like you can anywhere else. If this is wrong, please someone chime in.

Please let us know what you discover. I am planning to register a 10.4" HK 416 upper as my next project in a few months.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I think I want to register my RRA lower and put an 11.5" or so on it for my work gun... Depending on how much it takes to get the coporation setup. I may try the trust if its cheaper, since I have to get a lawyer for either

spicoli.j

Bowling Pin Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Houma
    I made a form 1 SBR in Houma. I had to register as a firearm manufacturer with the state police, and register the SBR with the state police.

these are the forms:

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chDealerReg.pdf

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFirearmReg.pdf

DSC01342.jpg

P.M. me if you have any questions on filling out the forms. It took me forever to figure it out, and you don't get much help from the LSP.

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    Please let us know what you discover. I am planning to register a 10.4" HK 416 upper as my next project in a few months.

Are those still around $5,000 for just the upper. I read something a while back about them changing their minds and deciding to sell to civilians but It wasn't confirmed for the U.S. yet? If that happens prices should drop.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Are those still around $5,000 for just the upper. I read something a while back about them changing their minds and deciding to sell to civilians but It wasn't confirmed for the U.S. yet? If that happens prices should drop.

Yes they are planning civilian versions for late 2009 but knowing HK they will be dumbed down politically correct versions and certainly won't be available in SBR lengths.

Since that announcement uppers have dropped in price a good bit. I recently saw a batch of five of them go for $2950 each. They are readily available in the $3300 range.

spicoli.j

Bowling Pin Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Houma
    aroundlsu: No, there is a checkbox on the first form for "Individual"

and also the question: "Is a federal firearms license required?" where you can check "No"

Top Bottom