Anty506's case in the paper today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Anty506 made the paper again.

Drug case raises issue of justifiable homicide

CLINTON — A state district judge said Tuesday he will decide by the end of the month on exactly what the Louisiana Legislature intended when lawmakers said “justifiable homicide” does not apply when someone is killed during an illegal drug transaction.

The issue was raised by attorneys for two Hammond men, Anthony Manzella, 19, and Andrew Robertson, 23, who were on one side of an alleged drug deal in Clinton on July 24, and the attorney for Johnny Barnes, 27, of Jackson, who was on the other side.

Barnes’ companion, Jeral Wayne Matthews Jr., 21, of Clinton, allegedly struck Manzella, in the head with a rifle butt before the deal was finished, and Manzella shot and killed Matthews with a .40-caliber handgun, Clinton police said in July.

Manzella was indicted with first-degree murder, and Robertson and Barnes were indicted for principal to second-degree murder.

Twentieth Judicial District Attorney Sam D’Aquilla said he interprets a section of the law dealing with justifiable homicide to preclude self-defense in drug deals that result in a homicide.

Benn Hamilton, Barnes’ attorney, said such an interpretation deprives his client of the right to argue “that he could not be principal to a homicide.”

“He cannot defend himself,” Hamilton said, saying the victim was armed and was shot in self-defense.

Robert Gill, Robertson’s attorney, told 20th Judicial District Judge George H. Ware Jr. that the language about drug deals appears in the second paragraph of a statement that a homicide is justified when a person is lawfully in a dwelling and believes the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the unlawful entry of the person into the dwelling.

The words, “The provisions of this Paragraph …” refers to that one specific instance for which a homicide is justified, not for the other three reasons outlined in the entire statute, Gill and Manzella’s attorney, Gary Jordan, argued.

Ware took the arguments under advisement but questioned whether the Legislature may have meant to apply the drug-deal section “all the way back to the top” in the reasoning that homicide is justified in three other circumstances.

Ware said the Legislature “may have been saying, ‘We don’t want to give the coverage of self-defense in a drug transaction.”

The judge said he is certain the matter is headed to an appellate court review regardless of how he rules, because no Louisiana court has ruled on the question.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/78840432.html#

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    This case has always confused me a little. I guess I don't understand why the court shouldn't be able to separate the two issues. The man should obviously be brought up on some kind of drug charges but apparently the way the law is written, a person waives the right to defend themselves when present at a drug deal.

This is almost as ridiculous as workers comp insurance law...

I guess with all the no-doubt-about-it criminals including repeat-offender drunk-drivers walking through the revolving door of our jails and court systems while having to watch this kind of thing continually go on is getting frustrating.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    The Louisiana Legislature didn't have a clue when it passed that statute nullifying self defense during a drug transaction. The right to defend yourself is a natural right of all persons, and cannot be preemted by the government.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Benn Hamilton, Barnes’ attorney, said such an interpretation deprives his client of the right to argue “that he could not be principal to a homicide.”

“He cannot defend himself,” Hamilton said, saying the victim was armed and was shot in self-defense.

I somewhat agree with what Anty’s lawyer is saying.
    However, I don't think anyone loses the right to self defense just b/c they were in a drug deal but Justifiable Homicide? I don't think so.

He put himself in a HIGH RISK, ILLEGAL situation by HIS OWN will. He was asking for trouble and found it.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    This.

Suppose a home owner catches a bad guy in his/her home and comes at them in a threatening manner. Can the bad guy claim self defense?

No, right? I mean, he broke into the guy's house.

Unless the homeowner (dead OR alive at that point) is found to be in possession of more that a "personal" amount of illegal drugs. Then I guess with the current law it could be construed that a drug deal was potentially going to go down. Crazy, huh?

Top Bottom