WTB: AR-15 or Beretta 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgrshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    New Orleans
    So I'll be getting my tax refund soon and should be in a position to be able to make a purchase. I would like to find a decent AR for under $800...if possible :D.
    I've also had my sights set on a 90-two series Beretta 9mm. I could possibly settle for a 92FS or similar 9mm Beretta depending on price.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have the 92fs. It is a great gun. I bought mine from a gunshow at the Lamar Dixson, the guy i got it from, had bought an alotment from a police department in Mississippi. I paid $300 for mine. Mechanicaly it is in excelent condition. There are a few blemishes on the finish, after all it was a duty weapon. I like it because I don't have to worry about scracthing it.

If you decide to go with the 92fs, they make an after-market M9 military clip that holds 18rds. You will probaly have to get them from a gunshow. I think the brand name is (?Megcar?), or something like that. They work good, in about a year of regular use I have had no problems. They go for approx. $25/clip.

If you decide to buy the AR, and you can't afford a Colt or a Smith. I recommend DPMS. You can probaly pick one up for around $500. There are a lot of mods offered for the particular brand.

tgrshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yeah I was pretty set on the 92fs because of the great reputation of Beretta and it's proven reliability. But then the 90-two caught my eye and I want it :) I've called around getting prices at gun stores and they are a bit pricey :( and the "gun experts" frown on my liking of the gun and all suggest I go with the 92fs.

With the AR I was fortunate to stumble upon Atlantic Firearms and saw some good prices on Olympic arms and RRA. I would like to buy one new, but buying FTF would eliminate all those other fees. Over easter break I was at my parents house...my dad and I went shooting and our neighbor walked over with his Olympic tactical ar-15 w/ 90 round clip. I unloaded it over the course of the next 2-3 minutes and decided that I need one :)

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The 90-2, is the new version. I looked at one at Heberts. It was decent, you can't change the grips. From what I understand, they are now making that in place of the 92fs. That means that the market value of the 92fs should start going up again. If you are hell-bent on a new one, check out Academy. I haven't been in there in a while, but the last time I was in there they had the new 92fs for I think $479. That is about the best deal around on a brand new one. If you are in Baton Rouge, I would definitly check there first before the big gun stores. At's Jims and places like that, you will probaly spend close to $600 if not more.

As Far as the Ar goes, I would definitly check into the DPMS before buying. My dad is a big fan of the Ar's. His has a Colt A-2. He turned me on to the DPMS. It is a very respectable gun compared to the Colt's and the Smiths. Some of the others such as Buschnell, etc. are kinda like buying a Taurus. They make decent guns, but they have no re-sale value/ appeal.

Good Luck!

tgrshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    New Orleans
    Monarch...i'm looking for a 16"

Glock...thanks for the advice. I've already taken note of the price at academy. Last time on their website it was 499. Something about that 90-two keeps drawing me that way.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I understand, for that particular gun I would have to have one of those hogue wrap around things (the rubberband thing, not the whole grip) on the grips. To me that would make the gun to bulky. Though i am not a fan of the hogue wrap around grips, but i do have them on my Berreta. It makes the gun easier to hold on to.

I had looked at the 90-2, because I kinda think I need a gun with a tactical rail for lasers/light etc. for home defense. After looking into, they make a bolt on adapter for the 92fs. I have seen the adapters upclose, but not actualy on a gun. It is all in what like. My motto used to be, buy em all and figure it out later.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    i meant buckmaster, sorry. dyslexic moment

how much are you looking to spend on the AR ?

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    at Bayou Pawn in Hammond they have a S&W flattop and full size Colt, both for just under $1000. I havent done a lot of looking lately.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Jims in B.R. was running a ad in the Advocate last week on a S&W AR that fit your price range. This was a new gun.
    $799- $100 rebate = $699 I think it was model : M & P 15OR Like I said this WAS last week. I'd give them a call.
    Art

Last edited:

tgrshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been to their site and liked what I saw...I was actually going to post on another thread on here to ask if anybody had done business with them to get some opinions on their service...
    I do prefer a ftf if possible, but i may eventually give in and order one.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I've been to their site and liked what I saw...I was actually going to post on another thread on here to ask if anybody had done business with them to get some opinions on their service...
    I do prefer a ftf if possible, but i may eventually give in and order one.

You will be hard pressed to find one that cheap even used.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom