11-87 for defense AND hunting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I've got a Rem. 11-87 Premier 12g shotgun.

I'd like to install an extended feed tube as long as the barrel to use as a self defense weapon. I also want to be able to easily convert it to legal for hunting status (three round max).

The weapon will need to be operationally flawless in both setups.

Is this possible and how?

Moderator: If this would be better in the shotgun forum, please move it.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I recently bought a new "tactical" 870 from James Loque and have been thinking the same thing. It has a regular type stock and fore-end, a removable mag extension, and Rem-choke threading. Looks like all one would need would be a mag cap, standard spring/follower, Rem-choke insert, and "boot-type" buttstock recoil pad to have a neat compact all-around hunting shotgun.
    A while back, in 1976, I got to go on a Colorado elk hunt with the late Bob Ramsland of Mexico "dove caravan" fame. Bob was the then-current largest individual purchaser of shotgun ammo in the world. As such, he got the "royal treatment" for his Remington ammo plant tours. Bob said the the Remington ammo engineers' experiments had proved that, using modern plastic shot-cup cartridges, there was absolutely no ballistic advantage of shotgun barrels over 18".
    Old Bob also said that the "longer sighting plane" theory wouldn't hold up to scientific testing.
    I have no way to prove any of this; but, Bob really knew his shotguns. He taught numerous sportsmen to shoot or to shoot better during his long guiding career.
    Having been a hunter for 55+ years, I just can't get used to the "pistol-grip" stocks and fore-ends for shotguns. My family and I switched to 870's for most hunting around 20 years ago and I now have several of various configurations, mostly the "Special Field" models. The 870 just "feels right" and I don't even have to think much about sighting/"aiming" by now.
    leVieux

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It's really and easy thing to do Bubba. I have been using my 11-87 for action shooting matches for years (although not enough lately). The first thing done was to change the barrel out to a 20" slug barrel, not a rifled barrel but one with the rifle sights. I did change the sights outs to the AO Express big-dot sights to make them easier to see. This barrel also takes choke tubes, so they can be changed out to what I want. I added a 2 shot Choate mag extension to the mag tube. You will have to file down the dimples Rem put in the mag tube to make it work but it's not a big deal. This allows the gun to hold 8 rounds and shortens it up to make it easier to use. It can be put back in hunting mode just by taking it down for cleaning and putting the original parts back in. I've done it many times.

To make thing better for me, a enlarged loading gate was added and a different bolt handle was installed. None of this will need to changed out for hunting.

You can get a mag extension as long as you want, making the gun hold 12 or more rounds but it really isn't easy to use for defensive purpose in this form. You might want to look at a shell carrier for the side of the reciever that hold 5 rounds. This way you can carry extra rounds with the gun and don't have to llok for them when you really needd it. I like the kind that is screwed to the reciever, several folks carry them. And last, the reason I went to the 20" slug barrel was due to the cost of getting a regular barrel and cutting it down and then having it tapped for choke tubes was really costly (like over $300). Hope this answers your questions and give you some help.

Beauxdog

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I see no reason why a personal defense shotgun has to have all the bells and whistles. It's a freaking shotgun! All those things beauxdog put his are great for competition. My home defense shotgun has 6 rounds in it but holds more. I don't believe that a reload will be needed.

Dave

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Thanks guys.

I really don't want to spend any more than I have to AND I prefer not to change the look, feel and operation of the gun more than is necessary to add more capacity.

I prefer to hunt with my defensive weapons as is, if legal. It is good practice!

I think what I'll do is get the best quality extended tube with the barrel clamp. Then, I'll either fabricate a really long plug to bring capacity down to hunting limits OR switch back to the OEM setup for hunting.

Will filing down that bump that was mentioned effect returning the gun to OEM?

Any advice on fabricating a plug?

Which is the best extended tube for the job?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Thanks guys.

I really don't want to spend any more than I have to AND I prefer not to change the look, feel and operation of the gun more than is necessary to add more capacity.

I prefer to hunt with my defensive weapons as is, if legal. It is good practice!

I think what I'll do is get the best quality extended tube with the barrel clamp. Then, I'll either fabricate a really long plug to bring capacity down to hunting limits OR switch back to the OEM setup for hunting.

Will filing down that bump that was mentioned effect returning the gun to OEM?
    Won't affect it at all. All the dimples do is retain the spring and cap. The mag tube nut will hold the spring in place without the retainer. Filing will work but I drilled the dimples out.

Any advice on fabricating a plug?
    A piece of wooden dowel rod works just fine.

Which is the best extended tube for the job?
    Choate or Scattergun Technologies

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I see no reason why a personal defense shotgun has to have all the bells and whistles. It's a freaking shotgun! All those things beauxdog put his are great for competition. My home defense shotgun has 6 rounds in it but holds more. I don't believe that a reload will be needed.

Dave

:confused::confused:

If you have ever tried to hurriedly reload a Remington semi-auto, it can be a pain in the ass if you aren't paying attention. The loading gate extension is a good CHEAP insurance policy if you ever HAD to reload. The bolt handle is more of a personal preference, but still cheap.

Personally, do what I did (on my 870, but pretty much the same animal)-

-18" barrel
    -Add a +2 Extension
    -Shorten your stock 1-2"
    -Put in a "Big Head" safety on it
    -Toss on a Fiber Optic front sight if you can't afford tritium sights

This will make your gun a perfect HD weapon.

If you want to turn it back to a hunting gun, just switch barrels, install plug and original endcap, and change stocks if the length bothers you too much.

I've been using this setup for the past few years, and it works great for me.

DAVE

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    This is what I did:

I bought Choate mag tubes with barrel clamps for my 12 & 20 gauge.

The only problem I had on the install was the "dimples". My 12 gauge is over 20 yrs old and has rectangular dimples. Choate said to drill them out with a 3/16 drill bit. That didn't do it for me. I went up to a 7/32 and still had to use a round headed punch to get r done.

First impressions: WOW, I have 10 rounds in the 12ga with another five in the stock sleeve! Fifteen rounds in/on the gun is what I wanted and I've got it for sure. Similar results were achieved with the 20ga.

Yes, they are now "heavy". I don't understand why Choate only offers a mag tube that is thicker and heavier than the barrel. I see the reason for the steel ones I bought but I think there is a market for an aluminum one.

Now that everything is on I now need to bring them out and shoot 'em.

I'll give you an AAR of my shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom