Garands primer-actuated mechanism?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I was looking back through my most recent stack of American Rifleman mags, re-reading an artical in the July 09 edition. One of Garands first attempts, "T1920" used what was described as a primer-actuated mechanism. The artical does not describe what this is. Does anyone have any links to articals giving a detailed description with illistrations or drawings explaining this operating device? I was just really curious about this evalutionary step.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    I was looking back through my most recent stack of American Rifleman mags, re-reading an artical in the July 09 edition. One of Garands first attempts, "T1920" used what was described as a primer-actuated mechanism. The artical does not describe what this is. Does anyone have any links to articals giving a detailed description with illistrations or drawings explaining this operating device? I was just really curious about this evalutionary step.

Primer actuated
    Primer actuated firearms utilize blowback force to set the primer back to operate a mechanism to unlock and cycle the firearm. John Garand was the first to develop the system in an unsuccessful bid to replace the M1903 bolt action rifle. (The U.S. military adopted ammunition with crimped primers that do not set back. Another of his designs was eventually accepted.) AAI Corporation used their developmental piston primer mechanism in a rifle submitted for the SPIW competition.[21] A similar system is used in the spotting rifles on the LAW 80 and Shoulder-launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon use a 9mm, .308 Winchester based cartridge with a .22 Hornet blank cartridge in place of the primer. Upon firing, the Hornet case sets back a short distance, unlocking the action.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_(arms)

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Thanks guys. I looked up the site Richard suggested and it uses the setback of the primer to work the action. This is what I thought, but I would still like to see pictures or drawings to see how it worked. I have seen the drawings of how JMB came up with the self loading rifle using the tappet in front of the muzzel to work a converted lever action to semi auto operation. Garands is an interesting step in the development of the self loading action. Probably unknown to 95% of owners of Garands, and 99.8% of owners of self loading actions. The evalution of the minds of these great men is of interest to me.

Top Bottom