WTB .380 personal defense ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    Looking to buy a few rounds of personal defense .380 ammo (preferably no +P) in the Lafayette, Jennings, Lake Charles area. I will be traveling from Jennings to Slidell and back on March 20 if that helps. Thanks.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Cabelas has Speer Gold Dot and CorBon DPX in stock. You could place an order for store pickup and get it when you drive by on the 20th.

I have 4 boxes (20 rds each) of Corbon JHP - 90gr 1050 fps - that I'd be willing to sell at cost. (More than the Gold Dot and less than the DPX at Cabelas).

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    Cabelas has Speer Gold Dot and CorBon DPX in stock. You could place an order for store pickup and get it when you drive by on the 20th.

I have 4 boxes (20 rds each) of Corbon JHP - 90gr 1050 fps - that I'd be willing to sell at cost. (More than the Gold Dot and less than the DPX at Cabelas).

Thanks. Is there a Cabela's somewhere between Jennings and Slidell?

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Please pardon me for butting in, but I feel that this is important to say. I would highly recommend that you buy more than a few rounds. I know it is expensive and hard to find, but it is a really good idea to make sure what you keep in the gun functions well in that particular gun. It's not like a revolver that will shoot anything. I would not rely on anything unless I have shot at least a few magazines of it to make sure my gun likes it.

One other thing: if you read much about ballistics, the biggest problem with the .380 may very well be lack of adequate penetration. If you use a "defensive" load that consists if a hollow point or other expanding bullet, but is not a +P or at least significantly hotter than your practice ammo, you may actually be better off with your practice ammo for defense. I carry Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets with a few gold dots, all ++P. If you read his website I think he makes a lot of sense.

Again, I apologize for the interruption, but I would hate to see anyone buy a few "self-defense" loads and find out at a crucial moment that they don't feed well in his gun.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    Please pardon me for butting in, but I feel that this is important to say. I would highly recommend that you buy more than a few rounds. I know it is expensive and hard to find, but it is a really good idea to make sure what you keep in the gun functions well in that particular gun. It's not like a revolver that will shoot anything. I would not rely on anything unless I have shot at least a few magazines of it to make sure my gun likes it.

One other thing: if you read much about ballistics, the biggest problem with the .380 may very well be lack of adequate penetration. If you use a "defensive" load that consists if a hollow point or other expanding bullet, but is not a +P or at least significantly hotter than your practice ammo, you may actually be better off with your practice ammo for defense. I carry Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets with a few gold dots, all ++P. If you read his website I think he makes a lot of sense.

Again, I apologize for the interruption, but I would hate to see anyone buy a few "self-defense" loads and find out at a crucial moment that they don't feed well in his gun.

No problem on the "interruption". I appreciate your thoughts and comments. By "a few" I meant enough to run a few mags through and a couple mags full to keep on hand. I should have been more specific. I have fired a few different types of ammo through my Bersa Thunder so far and have yet to have a single problem so until I have a feed/eject issue with a certain brand, I feel confident it will go bang when I pull the trigger. I also understand about the theory of "lack of penetration" but as I am very new to handguns, I feel comfortable with the .380. As I get more experience and more comfortable handling handguns, I may consider "upsizing" later on.

Thanks again. Have a great day!
    Patrick

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    ...I also understand about the theory of "lack of penetration" but as I am very new to handguns, I feel comfortable with the .380. As I get more experience and more comfortable handling handguns, I may consider "upsizing" later on.

Thanks again. Have a great day!
    Patrick

That is another story but especially give the (slightly larger) size of the Bersa over a lot of other 380, there are a few choices in 9mm that should work for you, like the Kel Tec PF9. A lot of people aren't big fans of the Kel Tecs, but after break-in, I have has zero problems with mine, and I do run a couple mags through it every time we go to the range to shoot other stuff.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    That is another story but especially give the (slightly larger) size of the Bersa over a lot of other 380, there are a few choices in 9mm that should work for you, like the Kel Tec PF9. A lot of people aren't big fans of the Kel Tecs, but after break-in, I have has zero problems with mine, and I do run a couple mags through it every time we go to the range to shoot other stuff.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks :)

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    We have a few boxes of Gold Dots in .380 and some FMJ's as well. We can ship also. PM me if you are interested.

Let me see what I can come up with in my area first before having some shipped from MS. Thanks for the offer! :cool:

LazyDaveD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I have some buffalo bore I'm looking to get rid of. I'm not sure how many rounds I have, it's between 50-60. I'll be home around lunch and can give you the number of rounds and a price. I'll be in Lafayette this weekend.

Grandpa23

Patrick
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Lafayette LA
    I have some buffalo bore I'm looking to get rid of. I'm not sure how many rounds I have, it's between 50-60. I'll be home around lunch and can give you the number of rounds and a price. I'll be in Lafayette this weekend.

Sounds good. I will be in Lafayette from approx 6pm till 9pm tonight. Any chance we can meet up tonight in Lafayette if the price is right? Or maybe I could have a friend meet you this weekend on my behalf.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I will keep that in mind. Thanks :)

We have a few boxes of Gold Dots in .380 and some FMJ's as well. We can ship also. PM me if you are interested.

It's worth a PM to Richie's. They have good prices and are very reliable. I'm certain that their Gold-Dot, even shipped, would be less less expensive than what I have on hand since I paid tax and shippping.

I got my .380 ammo last year when it was in REALLY short supply.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    It's worth a PM to Richie's. They have good prices and are very reliable. I'm certain that their Gold-Dot, even shipped, would be less less expensive than what I have on hand since I paid tax and shippping.

I got my .380 ammo last year when it was in REALLY short supply.

Thanks for the kind words.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom