Savage Mark II TR w/ pics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    As you all know, I recently picked one up from a sponsor here, Mr. gmshooter. Just wanted to post a few pictures and my opinion of the rifle so far.

The Savage Mark II TR is a tactical style .22lr that Savage designed as a training rifle. It has a wood laminate stock almost identical to the McMillian stock Savage uses on the Model 10 FCP. The stock is painted, which gives it a rough texture and makes it less slick. It is sturdy and has no flex to it. The butt has a decent rubber recoil pad on it, overkill for a .22 but it is nice. It has a 22" carbon steel barrel that is fluted with a matte black finish and target crown. Rifle is completely blacked out. It has a tactical bolt knob and is equipped with Savage's famous AccuTrigger. I personally love the AccuTrigger, others hate it. Trigger pull is smooth with no grit to it. Bolt is smooth for a .22 and locks up tight. The rifle comes with one 5 round magazine. At first the magazine required a good bit of force to drop, but after firing a few magazines it's much easier now.

Optics was a hard decision for me. I'm picky about what I like. 10x just isn't enough for me and 20x is pushing it. I've always been partial to Nikon, but decided to go a different route this time. I went ahead and picked up a SWFA Super Sniper 16x and dropped it in some Low Weaver Six Hole Tactical rings. Always wanted to try the SS line, and I'm glad I did. Simple scope with excellent glass with a mil-dot reticle and simple adjustments for a sweet price. Was clueless when it came to rings. Read some good reviews on these particular Weavers and found them cheap. The package said for optics with a maximum 38mm obj., but the SS has a 42mm obj. and there is still plenty space between the barrel and the scope.

Cost of entire setup:
    Rifle-$470
    Optics-$250
    Rings-$32
    Total-$752

Took it out to Sherburne today to zero the scope and see what it could do. Needless to say, this rifle can outshoot me. Realized today that I like to pull my shots to the left, I'll have to work on that. I know my shooting isn't very good, I'm just starting to practice, so no need to point it out! :nono: All the targets I'm posting were shot at 25 yards. I did shoot at 50 and 100, but I was plinking around with various types of ammo and didn't try to group anything. I have them all labeled with distance, ammo, and number of shots but the pictures suck and you can't make them out so I'll label them for you. Today I shot Winchester 333 bulk pack, CCI Standard Velocity 40gr Target, Winchester Super X Super Speed RN, and Remington Eley 40gr. .22 target rifle. Out of the four I got my best groups with the Winchester 333 and the CCI. The Remington Eley was next and the Super X was last. Still have a few brands of ammo I'd like to try, but if the cheap stuff keeps shooting this well, I won't complain! :D All in all, I am 100% satisfied. This thing is a dream to shoot. Anyways, here are the targets and a few pictures of the rifle. Let me know if you have and questions or would like to shoot it! I plan on heading out to Sherburne this Monday or Tuesday. Hell, as much as I enjoy shooting this thing, I may go both days.

My zeroing target. First shots fired coming out of a cold barrel, no bore sighting or anything. I was friggen' excited.
    Picture005-1.jpg

5 shots of Remington Eley Target Rifle
    Picture006.jpg

TEN shots of Winchester 333
    Picture007.jpg

5 shots of CCI 40gr Target
    Picture008-1.jpg

And a few shots of the rifle:

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Turrets and rings:
    Picture015.jpg

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Working on getting some Wolf...noone wants to give any up. :[ Friday I should be ordering some Lapua, RWS, and maybe some Eley Tenex.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Sweet looking rifle! The shots don't look bad. It's all a matter of time before you see groups of one small hole. Man, I wanna get another rifle now...

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Sweet rifle!
    I wonder if they sell the parts separately so i can make my MarkII look like that.

I know a lot of people have requested the stock from Boyd's, so I don't know if they've come out with one yet or if they are working on one. As soon as someone mentioned the can I went looking for a barrel online and came up with nothing. I didn't look very hard though.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Try Wolf Match Target, mine likes them.

I'm trying to find some locally to see if it'll group well before I decide to order a brick online and I can't find squat. Cabela's only carries 500 round bricks and never have any in stock and I only need about a hundred to decide if it works well with my set up or not.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm thinking of getting a SS scope for my 700. My
    bro inlaw has one onhis 700 and he loves it. So who do u like yours?

I love the SS. I wish I would have bought one sooner. I have the 16X and the glass is perfectly clear. I pulled it out of the case after sunset to see what it looked like in low light and I was still able to see pretty well, which surprised me since it's a 42mm obj. Knobs are big, easy to turn, and have audible clicks. They can also be reset once you get your zero. Reticle is a simple round mil-dot set up. Works great. Sunshades are available for them through SWFA.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Well, I have an ammo can devoted to .22 ammo and keep it packed with a little of most major brands, cause you just never know what your .22 will like. I recently decided to extended the selection to lower cost, high end ammo with a couple of bricks of Eley Sport and Wolf Match. I have a Mossberg M44 from the CMP and still haven't got it to group where i want it. I have heard from other shooters that their guns grouped well with common types like Rem golden Bullets. i have one M44 that likes the Rem Target, that is about $6 - $7/100. A buddy told me to try the Eley Sport because the smallbore shooters have good results from their M44's and it was $30/500. I got a 5/8-inch group at 50yds with my M44 using Aguila Interceptor, $50/500 but want better. Some of the target stuff can get kinda pricey, 30 cents a round.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Yeah. Eley Tenex is 18.00 for 50 rounds. Supposedly what most Olympic shooters use. Friday Im going to order 100 rounds each of whatever I can find and go from there.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm trying to get decent groups at 50 and 100. I can decent accuracy out of pretty much any ammo at 25, well at least what I've tried to far. I still haven't had the chance to sit down and try my best for my groups. Once I get a decent selection of ammo on hand I will try to make out to Sherburne on a weekday when the range isn't so crowded. This rifle is capable of .15-.20" groups at 50, so I just need to find what it likes and do my part. I don't know if I'll ever get that good though.

Top Bottom