Bunny Tragedy (Not for the Squeamish)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I am bumming! I accidentally hit a rabbit's nest full of tiny baby bunnies with a string trimmer this evening. I was finally getting around to trimming some of the tall grass (about 8" high) on my property when I hit something and I seen something bleeding and writhing around. As soon as I realized that I had hit something alive I stopped, but I had already hurt two of the three little rabbits. My neighbor called his veterinarian who advised us to simply put he bunnies back in their nest (which had basically been destroyed). I did as the vet suggested, but I am torn. Every instinct that I have says I should have ended the poor things' suffering. But the vet seemed to think that they might survive. I don't know... I just HATE to see living things suffer so.

The hardest part was explaining to my four year old boy that his daddy didn't mean to hurt the baby bunnies. He said that he understood... but from the look in his eyes I'm not so sure.

bunnytragedy.jpg

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Parallel,

Don't feel too bad, you're not alone. I'm in a similar situation with some stray cat that had kittens in my race car. One in critically ill and needs to be put down, I'll have to take care of that in the morning. I was hoping it would be OK, but shes going down fast. Poor thing, not something I like doing, but necessary.

About the rabbits, if they only have minor injuries, then I would let "momma" handle it, but if they have serious open wounds then I would have to do the "humane" thing. Just my .02 cents.

Bam Bam

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    How deep are the lacerations on the middle rabbit?
    Looks like the ear of the rabbit to the far right got taken off. Were there any other wounds to the head?

:)

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    There's lots of rabbits in the world ;)

Plus unless you're leaving something out it doesn't look too serious. They'll most likely grow up just fine, maybe a little scarred.

Last edited:

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I'd check on them again in the morning. If the wounds aren't life threatening and they don't catch infection they should live through alright, albiet a bit traumatized. From here the main worry would be if "mommy" will take care of them after a human handled them.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I use to be a rehaber and still do it on a case by case basis, from the pics the wounds do not look that bad and the mother should care for them. If the mother does not return put neosporin on them and get some kitten replacement milk and a nurser from a pet store and feed them and they should be fine, also keep them warm.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    You wouldn't be the first.

To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough

Robert Burns

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
    O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
    Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
    Wi' bickering brattle!
    I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
    Wi' murd'ring pattle!

I'm truly sorry man's dominion,
    Has broken nature's social union,
    An' justifies that ill opinion,
    Which makes thee startle
    At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
    An' fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve;
    What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
    A daimen icker in a thrave
    'S a sma' request;
    I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
    An' never miss't!

Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin!
    It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
    An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
    O' foggage green!
    An' bleak December's winds ensuin,
    Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
    An' weary winter comin fast,
    An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
    Thou thought to dwell-
    Till crash! the cruel coulter past
    Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
    Has cost thee mony a weary nibble!
    Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,
    But house or hald,
    To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
    An' cranreuch cauld!

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain;
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley,
    An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.
    On prospects drear!
    An' forward, tho' I canna see,
    I guess an' fear!

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    From the picture they look like they will survive those injuries. It is rare that the mother would reject them over human scent. The mother will most likely relocate them now.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I hit a rabbit nest in about 1986 with a lawnmower. I put them back in the nest (except the dead one) and continued about my business. I guess if I wasn't raised a hard as$ed old school American, I could've taken pictures of it and lamented the terrible incident that surely scarred me for life. But no matter what I did all those rabbits are dead now.

Dave

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Green chopping millet on my uncles dairy farm, and hit a new-born calf. Do I have to say what the inside of the wagon looked like?

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Should see what a baby deer looks like when it gets run over by a combine.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Dont some people on this board keep boas/pythons? I think I saw someone on here awhile ago. Anyway if have to put one down it might as well not go to waste.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I hit a rabbit nest in about 1986 with a lawnmower. I put them back in the nest (except the dead one) and continued about my business. I guess if I wasn't raised a hard as$ed old school American, I could've taken pictures of it and lamented the terrible incident that surely scarred me for life. But no matter what I did all those rabbits are dead now.

Dave
    Wow Dave... you are just so uber macho. You seem to have missed the point. My four year old witnessed this. Maybe you and your clan were out skinnin bear when you were four... you know.... being the "hard as$ed old school American" that you are. Douche.:rolleyes:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Wow Dave... you are just so uber macho. You seem to have missed the point. My four year old witnessed this. Maybe you and your clan were out skinnin bear when you were four... you know.... being the "hard as$ed old school American" that you are. Douche.:rolleyes:

Yup. Some guys just have to make a point. Blow it off. I think the vet made the right call. It'll give your four-year-old a chance to see how nature cares for its own when the momma relocates the little ones. If she doesn't return he'll get a chance to raise a few bunnies! How much fun can that be?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    If you don't end up putting them back in their nest this can always be an early project for your 4 yr old to learn about respecting nature and responsibility. I think my interest in medicine was spurred by my mother bringing home random injured animals. Turtles, squirrels, raccoons, opossum, rabbits, birds, etc. Life is life there are no if, ands, or buts about it.

I don't know how many turtle/tortoise shells I have duct taped together.

And don't mind dwr641's comment he probably got cut off in traffic or something.

I know for a fact that both my grandfathers where hard ass old school americans and they both loved animals.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom