Cop found guilty of felonious assault w/ a firearm during traffic stop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The officer couldn't see the biker's right hand, thought the biker was reaching for a weapon, and making a "draw motion" turning around to use it, so he fired one shot.

The biker had a BAL of .09, some weed in his system and a 2-inch knife clipped to his boot.
    The biker's spine was severed; paralyzed from the waist down.:eek3:

Dash Cam VID w/ sound(takes about 10sec before the vid starts up)
    Dash Cam Vid w/o sound (extended)
    Ottawa Hills officer found guilty in biker shooting

TOLEDO, OHIO -- A Lucas County jury has found an Ottawa Hills police officer guilty of felonious assault in the May 2009 shooting of a motorcyclist.

After over five hours of deliberations, a jury found that part-time Ottawa Hills officer Thomas Caine White, 27, used excessive force in shooting motorcyclist Michael McCloskey, 25, during a traffic stop on May 23, 2009. White was found guilty of count of felonious assault with a gun specification, charges that could lead to 11 years in prison when he is sentenced.

McCloskey suffered serious injuries as a result of the shooting. He is now paralyzed from the waist down.

Attorneys for each side made closing arguments Friday afternoon.

The prosecution emphasized that this trial was not about all police officers or a specific police department but about the actions of Officer White that night.

Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Jeff Lingo told the court that slides of the police dash cam video show McCloskey made no movement as if he had a weapon and the he gave no indication of being a threat to White. "He says, 'Will you please lift the bike off me?' This is after he's been shot. He's still being police to the officer who just shot him in the back. That's the Mike McCloskey that he faced that night," said Lingo.

The defense argued that Officer Thomas White was acting appropriately and that he perceived McCloskey was a threat and had a weapon. Attorney Jerry Phillips told the jury that they needed to put themselves in White's shoes. "You must judge it under the quickly evolving circumstances that Officer White understood when he exited the vehicle after the entire event took place, after he had a service revolver out, after he gave an instruction to Mr. McCloskey and Mr. McCloskey turned a second time," said Phillips.

White took the stand in his own defense on Thursday, trying to convince the jury that he was justified in shooting McCloskey. He told the courtroom that he believed the biker was carrying a weapon at the time he was stopped. He said he fired one shot out of fear for his life.

On the stand Tuesday, McCloskey answered questions about what happened at the traffic stop near the intersection of Central Ave. and Indian Rd. He told the court he was trying to comply with the officer's orders. "I assumed he was saying, 'Put your hands in the air,' because that's the only thing that I didn't do to comply. I was in the process of putting the bike in neutral when he shot," said McCloskey.

The trial, which began Monday, featured numerous showings of a previously unseen police dash cam video, taken on the night of the incident.

Officer Thomas White
    bilde

Officer_White_Trial58823efd-4b3b-4b9c-94b5-e88b946c39920000_20100511184235_640_480.JPG
    http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=457181
    http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20100515/NEWS02/5150401

:)

Last edited:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    The cop was at a way differant angle then the camera but it didnt look like he had his hand in his pocket to me and didnt make any fast moves, not to mention have any time to comply with orders. Im going to have to agree with the jury on this one.

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Why would he have his gun drawn when he stopped him anyway? He pulled over for the officer and didn't run. The cop seemed overly anxious to use his gun.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    "The defense argued that Officer Thomas White was acting appropriately and that he perceived McCloskey was a threat and had a weapon. Attorney Jerry Phillips told the jury that they needed to put themselves in White's shoes. "You must judge it under the quickly evolving circumstances that Officer White understood when he exited the vehicle after the entire event took place, after he had a service revolver out, after he gave an instruction to Mr. McCloskey and Mr. McCloskey turned a second time," said Phillips.

I won't argue whether or not the police are sometimes in stressful situations- that's a no-brainer. The biker kid also put himself in that situation.
    I personally didn't see a shooting situation- but that's only my opinion. Very sad, indeed...

Who picked the defense lawyer for the cop? If he were defending me, I'd have started sweating profusely when he came out with the "service revolver" remark- as the video clearly shows the cop had a Glock!

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Why would he have his gun drawn when he stopped him anyway? He pulled over for the officer and didn't run. The cop seemed overly anxious to use his gun.
    The officer said he thought the bikers were trying to speed away from him, so he was treated the stop as "high risk".
    video no worky...
    Did you try the second link?
    For the 1st vid I had to press the play button and wait a couple of seconds before it started.

:)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I watched it on youtube but with no sound. With no sound the shot looked to be a bad shot. I can see where the officer thought he was going for the gun, but I think he had a few more seconds to observe what was going on before shooting. Let's face it, with a gun drawn on someone's back, there's no way to draw from concealment, with one hand, point behind you and shoot while sitting on a motorcycle. I think the officer could've waited till he saw a gun and still be safe.

BUT, I won't judge the officer because they put their life on the line and ultimately its up to them to make those types of decisions. He did what he thought was the right thing and he has to answer for it. It's not up to us to crucify him.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Who picked the defense lawyer for the cop? If he were defending me, I'd have started sweating profusely when he came out with the "service revolver" remark- as the video clearly shows the cop had a Glock!

Sounds like his lawyer might work for The Advocate too. :D

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    From the time the cop's car stopped moving to the time he shot McClosky was 9 seconds. I didn't see any significant motion on Mr. McClosky's part.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think the cop was in the wrong and should be punished, but I hope he doesn't get prison time. He screwed up, but he doesn't have a criminal mindset.

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    All cops who carry glock wheel guns should be disarmed and locked away for there own and the general publics protection, they have been known to startle themselves with mirrors and shoot at suspicious noises.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    He screwed up, but he doesn't have a criminal mindset.
    The stupid son-of-a-bitch proved his incompetence as police officer. As a convicted felon, he will now be ineligible to the an LEO anywhere except Detroit, fifty miles north of Toledo and where he will fit right in:
    http://www.freep.com/article/201005...r-The-shot-was-fired-from-outside-Aiyana-home
    Back in the day, I rode a motorcycle in Toledo. The call of wanderlust got so strong I quit my job and hit the road for six months. I reckon that was a good move. Ain't been back to Toledo since except to pass through on the interstate. I won't be found dead there after this. Hey, no pun intended.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    you have to imagine viewing the biker from about four to five feet further to the left of our view. the bikers did give the officer reason to believe that something was up when they suddenly took off when he was behind them. innocent people don't suddenly run so he had reason to make a fellony stop (with gun drawn). the biker pulled his right arm back while turning to look over his shoulder which from the angle i previously stated of four to five feet to the left would leave the bikers hand still concealed leaving plausible perception that a gun was being drawn. my opinion is bad conviction.

peacemakr72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    A Lesson to All Leo's?

The prudent thing is to use the 6 foot of metal, fenders, wheels, hubs, tires,
    etc for cover and make absolutely sure your not making a bad call on the use of D.Force. Now two lives are ruined. The Officer will go to jail I'm afraid, as we are seeing to much of this stuff from the L.E. agencies around the country. It makes it hard for the rest of us when this kind of thing happens. Another second could have changed all that. I have tried to condition my mind to use available cover, watch and shoot only when I'm POSITIVE of a threat. Of course age makes one more cautious. It's a sad story. I'll bet anything he had his finger on the trigger when he drew. Could have been a reflex shot.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    you have to imagine viewing the biker from about four to five feet further to the left of our view. the bikers did give the officer reason to believe that something was up when they suddenly took off when he was behind them. innocent people don't suddenly run so he had reason to make a fellony stop (with gun drawn). the biker pulled his right arm back while turning to look over his shoulder which from the angle i previously stated of four to five feet to the left would leave the bikers hand still concealed leaving plausible perception that a gun was being drawn. my opinion is bad conviction.

Very good point. Everyone can armchair quarterback while watching you tube and replaying it over and over to decide.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Very good point. Everyone can armchair quarterback while watching you tube and replaying it over and over to decide.

Meanwhile there's a young man paralyzed from the waist down who was unarmed and Shot in the BACK by a trained professional :rolleyes:

My question is, that if the officer had reason to make a felony stop, gun drawn. When the Officer decided that a Lethal Threat to himself was indeed imminent, his first shot hits him in his lower back? Guess we'll never know.

Like I said earlier, I hate when these things happen. Dumb Dumbs for running, and another Cop shoots another unarmed person. At the rate these videos are exploited our Officers will be running around with batons like the EU Cops we make fun of.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to convince the public that the 2nd Amendment only applies to Off Duty Personal Rights etc.etc.....in due time....in...due...time...

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Meanwhile there's a young man paralyzed from the waist down who was unarmed and Shot in the BACK by a trained professional :rolleyes:

My question is, that if the officer had reason to make a felony stop, gun drawn. When the Officer decided that a Lethal Threat to himself was indeed imminent, his first shot hits him in his lower back? Guess we'll never know.

Like I said earlier, I hate when these things happen. Dumb Dumbs for running, and another Cop shoots another unarmed person. At the rate these videos are exploited our Officers will be running around with batons like the EU Cops we make fun of.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for them to convince the public that the 2nd Amendment only applies to Off Duty Personal Rights etc.etc.....in due time....in...due...time...

Like I said, I won't judge the man for what he did. Obviously a jury of his peers did that, so the criminal justice system did it's job.

All i'm saying is that he wasn't a criminal and is being crucified like one.

Top Bottom