Truck bed liner and cover - Need Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    I recently bought a new truck and need some advice on a bed liner & cover. My hauling needs are minimal. The truck will mostly be used for carrying an occasional load of mulch or other similar job.

What are the pros & cons of spray-in liners?

For the cover, I like the folding hard covers and prefer something that will secure stuff in the bed while also easy to remove / store when hauling stuff.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    We've had a spray in liner on our truck for the past 14 years or so. It's JUST starting to wear off from the toolbox rubbing the front of the bed.

Works well for us :D

-DAVE

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Line-x is tops in the spray in liners. As with most things, it's all in the prep work, so if you want a spray in liner, I'd get one before hauling too many loads of mulch/dirt. I had one in my last truck, and really liked it, but if you arenot going to haul lots
    of stuff and use it like a truck, I'd save $400 and just get a rubber bed mat.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Line-x is tops in the spray in liners. As with most things, it's all in the prep work, so if you want a spray in liner, I'd get one before hauling too many loads of mulch/dirt. I had one in my last truck, and really liked it, but if you arenot going to haul lots
    of stuff and use it like a truck, I'd save $400 and just get a rubber bed mat.

Not planning on hauling lots of stuff but I do get the occasional 'honey-do' that requires a load of mulch, landscaping stones, etc.

Jim, I really, really would recommend staying away from the DIY stuff.

Good advice...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The main problem with the DIY stuff eventhough I have used Herculiner for many other aplications is the fact that during the drying process if not done correctly it can actually hold moisture in between the bed and the product which WILL make ur bed rust, it will also not hold up for really tuff work such as rocks. +1 on the Line-X product that is what we use at work on the company vehicles and eventhough we dont haul much equipment the few times we do its loaded down and all it takes is a pressure washer to get it back to looking new.

As far as the bed cover I have a fiber glass cover on mine just because I hardly ever need the use of the bed but its very easy to take off 2 clips and the shocks and somebody to help u pick it up, on the down side of the "stiff" covers is that if for some reasson your truck will be doing lots of flexing between frame/bed hard terrain and so on it tends to loose its square and then its a BEEEEEEE to get it back on track the way it was before.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The main problem with the DIY stuff eventhough I have used Herculiner for many other aplications is the fact that during the drying process if not done correctly it can actually hold moisture in between the bed and the product which WILL make ur bed rust, it will also not hold up for really tuff work such as rocks.

Prep, prep, prep. That is the main problem. Lots of people want to buy a brand new truck, and skimp on the bedliner and try and save a few bucks with the "roll on" stuff, and it ends up looking like poop, quickly.
    I used to work after class at a line-x shop, and do the prep work. It was a pain in the rear, and the average person would probably not want to take 120 grit sandpaper to their brand new truck. New trucks were the best, ones wtih used/dirty beds were a PITA. First, we would remove all the bolts holding the bed to the frame, and all the rubber plugs in the cargo tie down areas, and the bolts holding the tailgate handle in place. (lots of places skip this, and if you need to remove one, you have to cut/peel/chisel it off and looks like ass) Had to scuff up EVERY surface in the bed, tediously getting in every crease for the best adhesion. after that, degrease the entire bed, taking care not to get any sweat/oils from skin, etc. on the prep'd surface while working your way outward. The actual spraying only takes a few minutes, and was usually cured and ready to use by the time the owner picked it up, due to how hot the 2 parts of the mixture get when they mix in the nozzle of the applicator gun.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have a Rhino brand spray in liner in my truck. The dealership installed it before I left the lot. It is very thick and nothing slips on it. It doesn't cure completely hard so it grips stuff very well.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Which brand? Looking online there are several to choose from...to include DIY.

Crap, sorry about that. It's a Rhino liner. I guess it was before they got big, because they didn't even give out those fancy little stickers for your bed :D

+1 on staying away from the DIY kits. There's a reason why you don't see any "DIY Root canal" or "DIY Bypass surgery" kits - some things are best left for the pros :D

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    As for Rhino vs. Line-X, the Line-X is "harder" and more durable, therefore items such as coolers and gascans tend to slide, but the rhino is softer and stickier/more skid resistant, but not as durable. It is more prone to getting cuts/tears from shovels and the like when shoveling out loads of mulch and gravel.

Anywho, I'd suggest you do your own research on them going and checking out both Rhino and Line-x in person and seeing which one you think is best for your particular application. It'll be like a chevy vs. ford deal, whichever one you own is the one you'd recommend.
    I would add that you whichever you choose, I would stay with one of the big, nationwide brands such as Rhino or Line-x, as a small place may not be around in 3 or 4 years if you do need some kind of warranty work done, or if heaven forbid, you get into an accident and need a new tailgate/side panel, etc.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    My dad has rhino in his new truck and I had linex in my old one, and now the factory in my Titan. My favorite is line-x next would be factory titan then rhino. The rhino is too soft like said above me its great for gripping but rocks and shovels will tear it up fast.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    whatever you do, don't waste your money on one of the hard plastic ones... I've taken them out and thrown them out because stuff slides around so bad.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    like has been said stick with rhino or linex. ive done one of the diy hurculiner ones and it was ok at best. it definatly wasnt due to the prep work either. i sandblasted the entire bed down to metal and then cleaned with grease and was remover and the applied. it was ok for a little while but would cut easy. then after a year or so if you put your arms on the rails it would rub off black on you.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Go with a spray in bed liner, never a plastic drop-in. Get a professional to do the job. Line-X or Rhino Liner is the way to go. I personally have Line-X. As far as a be cover goes, get a roll up cover or the hard plastic that can easily be removed.

Bed covers are good for two things; Safe Concealment ( if it has a lock ) and keeping the contents dry in case of rain.

I have Line-X in my 2000 Silverado. I've had the truck since 2005 and the bed liner is still strong as can be. My dad has an A.R.E. bed cover on his 2006 Silverado and usually complains about it. If he needs a truck without a bed cover he always borrows mine. What also sucks is that his bed cover is eating away the paint around the bed where the cover touches it. He also doesn't have bed liner and the bed is really scratched up from engine parts.

This is the bed cover I was going to get for when it rains.
    bakflip_black_002.jpg

It's called the bakflip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom