My Fridge may be dying. Suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    most fridges never break. 99% of the time it's the door that goes first, people spill **** in it, the bottom of the seal starts to stick, the seal seperates, bulges, then the compressor starts to work overtime, all because the door is not sealing, the coils constantly freeze up due to condensation. clean the dust outta the bottom coils, make sure the fan works, which rarely breaks, but sometimes does. and..CHECK the drain line to the drain pan, they often clog with algae or slime, then the defrost can't deice the evap, no air flows internally and nothing cools. blow air up through the clear drain hose on the back of the fridge. see if that helps.i'm no expert but i do have a license to fix that sorta stuff lol

Last edited:

slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    Could the fan be my problem? Is it a simple fix? Is it just a matter of spraying WD-40 or Breakfree on the area? Do I have to replace the motor? What is the cost of something like this? Is it something someone like me ( no experiance repairing this stuff) can do or is this a job for an expert? Where should I get parts for this in the St Gabriel area?
    Help me, Bayoushooter. You're my only hope. <-Geeky Star Wars reference.

yes the fan could be the problem, the bearings should be oil imprgnated bronze or something like that, wd40 will buy you some time but anything oily will attract/hold more dust and hasten it's demise in the large picture so be judicious with the spray acton. the fan needs to pull air over itself to keep from frying, so it needs to be blown out also.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Be sure the airflow vent, usually at the bottom of the fridge in the crisper drawer area is open and not clogged or covered. Next, could be the defrost timer is bad and letting the heat coil stay on. Of course, it could also be the defrost timer isn't working or the coil is bad and won't heat in the defrost cycle and the refrigerator coils in the freezer are frozen solid. Also, could be a gas leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom