Venison Backstrap

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Ok I need help from the hunters.

A friend gave me some backstrap and neither the wife or I have ever cooked it before. Any recipes/suggestions would be appreciated. I know it is lean and that can cause problems.

Thank you in advance.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I got some from a friend awhile back, and I just pounded it out with a tenderizer mallet. And then I made a 'chicken fried steak" our of it. Fried it up in a cast iron pan. It was damn good.

But that is the first and only time i have ever had venison, so there a probably others who know better.

good luck and enjoy.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Fried is good. The thinner you cut it the better, and don't fry it too long or it'll get real chewy.
    one of my favorite ways is to butterfly it lengthwise a few times, mix up some spinach and cream cheese, and coat the inside, roll it back up, wrap it in bacon, wrap in aluminum foil and either cook in the oven or on the pit.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    one of my favorite ways is to butterfly it lengthwise a few times, mix up some spinach and cream cheese, and coat the inside, roll it back up, wrap it in bacon, wrap in aluminum foil and either cook in the oven or on the pit.

That sounds yummy. One of the guys at work cooked it in one of those roaster ovens that look almost like a crock pot. sliced thin it was real good.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Fried is good. The thinner you cut it the better, and don't fry it too long or it'll get real chewy.

You can also substitute the spinach with jalapeños. My girlfriend's family makes backstrap this way, and it's... well, incredible.

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    If I remember correctly "Kill It and Grill It" by The Nuge had a blackberry bar-be-que glaze recipe that sounded out of sight. Katrina took the book from me before I could try it .
    I have gone out for a new copy yet. Going to have to do that. Seems as though i'll be getting more venison than fish for a while.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Grill-Shemane-Nugents-Preparing/dp/0895260360/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274633483&sr=8-10[/ame]

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    Cut into ~1" thick steaks across the grain. Marinate in ziplock bag in fridge for 3 DAYS (Allegro Game Tamer works well) Wrap in bacon around edge with toothpicks (like fillet mignon) Grill like a steak on pit until medium at most. If you don't leave it pink in middle, it will be overcooked and tough. If you don't marinate it for the 3 days, it will be tough. Doesn't have to cook long. It is very lean and very easy to overcook.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I like to take it and completely cover it in fajita seasoning and saute' it with all the regular fajita goodies on either a cast iron griddle on the grille or a cast iron skillet. Throw it in tortillas with your regular add on's and you are good to go.

You can also butterfly it like richard's recommendations, but if you don't like spinach you can de-seed some jalepeno peppers and put the cream cheese in the pepper, lay the backstrap across the top and then wrap in bacon and either grill or bake those.

I eat spinach, but prefer the way it tastes in the pepper ;)

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Cut into strips. Batter it and fry it in Italian breadcrumbs. Then sprinkle the crap out of it with Parmesan cheese.

Better than bacon brother. MUCH better than bacon.

And...if these recipes are too difficult :) , you can always PM me and I'll drive over and take that 'strap off your hands.

Happy Eating.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Sounds like everybodys conqured the deer taste, like making fish taste like chicken ...or alligator taste like chicken

I like to grill it with salt and pepper in little strips...... tastes a lot like deer

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    These are all great receipts, but if it is your first time you HAVE to batter and splatter. Fried b-strap is the ABSOLUTE BEST!! Cut into pieces about 2" long and 1/4" wide. Put all the pieces into a bowl and mix with a couple eggs. Take out of eggs and batter with flour seasoned with tony's, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Fry them on a high heat until golden brown

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    For fried backstrap:

-Cut into thin strips

-Soak in Coca cola overnight. (This tenderizes it a lot and ELIMINATES the game taste.)

-Soak in your favorite marinade for a few hours before cooking.

-Batter and fry it.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    These are all great receipts, but if it is your first time you HAVE to batter and splatter. Fried b-strap is the ABSOLUTE BEST!! Cut into pieces about 2" long and 1/4" wide. Put all the pieces into a bowl and mix with a couple eggs. Take out of eggs and batter with flour seasoned with tony's, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Fry them on a high heat until golden brown

this is what I did and it was Dank!

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Backstrap? That's just a useless cut of meat. Spare yourself the sorrow, send it to me, my dog loves to eat it...wrapped around bell pepper and cream cheese with a greasy strip of bacon around it...after I grill it for him, that is. I spoil that dog too much.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Dude, you need to make medallions out of that stuff.

Thin, 1/8-1/4" slices.
    Unseasoned meat tenderizer overnight
    Cavenders and Melted butter
    Grill
    Before flipping over, coat with mustard using a brush (thin layer here)
    Coat the other side.

You are doing going to cook a couple of minutes a side. You don't want the meat medium well, cooking deer too much tends to dry it out. Look for medium rare to medium.

This is sooooo goooooood!!!!! It's even awesome when it's cold.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    Backstrap

Take a pack of bacon and cut it in half lay the backstrap next to it and cut it the same length as the bacon and as thin as you can slice it. Lay a piece of bacon down place the backstrap on top a slice of jalepeno pepper and roll it all up and place a toothpick through it. Soak them in orange juice over night and remove them and coat them with Zatarans fish fry and fry them they are awesome..

Top Bottom