SKS on Mythbusters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I was watching an episode of Mythbusters and the myth was that some Russian gangsters were riding with some SKSs in the back of a car and cranked up the stereo to impress some women. Allegedly, due to the sound, the rifles fired. This led to the observation that SKSs have a floating firing pin (didnt know that) and that it could be possible. It ended up not happening with the subwoofers but it did work with a C4 blast.

Shikkapow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Lake Charles
    saw that one a while back. there were all sorts of myths about the SKS's. about the only one I know of for sure is if the firing pin sticks (cosmoline is a big culprit) forward it'll slam fire until either the mag is empty or the pin backs off a little.

when you take the bolt out to clean the last thing you do before you put it back in is to ensure the pin floats back and forth smoothly.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Maybe so. never done it but i am kind of a do it yourself guy. what all would I need.

And so it begins...

Me and #1Bambam started building AKs some years back, and now we've gotten it down pretty good.

You need
    • A kit: This is an AK that was destroyed by cutting its barrel and receiver.
    • A barrel. See ArmoryPartsExchange (APEX)
    • A receiver. See NoDakSpud.com or AK-Builder.com (if you want to make your own receiver)
    • A friend who owns a receiver jig if you want to make the receiver yourself.
    • A set of rivets (See AK-Builder.com)
    • An American-made fire control group to replace the illegal set that comes with the kit.
    • A friend who knows how to build one to walk you through the steps on your first (but rarely your last) AK build.
    • Beer.

You might also want to watch some of the videos posted on http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16295 in the "Build it Yourself" section. You'll be surprised at how straightforward it is to build an AK. Forming good rivets is a bitch, but all the steps are really fairly simple.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Uh-oh. We're busted!

No, seriously - we're discussing making your own AKM - not exactly an AK-47, since the AK-47 was upgraded to an AKM in the 1950s. Also the one we're discussing is legal, because it's not a machinegun, nd it complies with ATF regs.

By the way, notice the tagline under my username.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom