Firefox issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I keep thinking that I've got a virus, but all of my programs haven't caught anything.

While browsing the net, every 45 seconds or so, firefox locks up on me for about a second. It's destroying my intrawebz experience. If you open up the process manager and arrange them from highest to lowest, you can watch firefox quickly jump up to 98% usage, then drop back down to 3% in about 2 seconds.

System Specs:

1.2ish ghz processor
    Windows XP
    2gigs of ram

Any ideas?? I'm thinking that maybe one of the add-ons are leeching my memory :squint:

lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    That would be my guess, if its a new occurrence and you haven't made any other changes, installations, etc. Try disabling one add on at a time until you've isolated the problem.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Get an add-on called NoScript. It will not allow any page scripts to run until you give it permission. You can give temporary permissions with a right-click on the page and going down to the NoScript line.

NoScript Addon

It just might take awhile to find the culprit.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    So I'm on IE 7...what ever teh latest one is, I think 7, what is the advantage of chrome or firefox over IE ??

I have never used anything but IE, so to me it works fine, always lookn for betta fasta

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I had an issue about three months ago with Firefox taking about 90 seconds to start on my 4-gig workstation. Turns out that somewhere along the line I'd opened a site that used Java (the kiss of death). Java surreptitiously installs a "quick-start module" that reduced the time it takes for a Java app to run from twelve hours to only seven, but in doing so it slowed down my browser excruciatingly. I think Java is a language developed by Microsoft-haters who'll do anything to avoid working with Microsoft. I can't think of any other reason to use it, since it's god-awful slow.

I looked through my "add-on programs" ("Tools menu", "Options"", then in the pop-up select the General tab, then press "Manage Add-ons"), and I disabled everything having to do with java. Now Firefox is back up to its usual lightning standards.

You have to manage your add-ons, or they'll take over. Specially Java.

Another one that does that is AVG anti-virus software. It has an add-in for the internet that checks links for you before you go to them. It slows things down pretty badly too.

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    So I'm on IE 7...what ever teh latest one is, I think 7, what is the advantage of chrome or firefox over IE ??

I have never used anything but IE, so to me it works fine, always lookn for betta fasta

IE 8 the latest and greatest from microsoft. It is still the same as before just promises 'more' security. Firefox is way more safer i.m.o.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    IE 8 the latest and greatest from microsoft. It is still the same as before just promises 'more' security. Firefox is way more safer i.m.o.

It is.

I'm going to try Chrome later. So far Firefox is my favorite out of Firefox, IE, Safari, and Opera.

edit: First impressions of Chrome: much faster, but seems naked. Works better on my netbook

to the OP, I don't use addons and Firefox has never given me a problem.

Last edited:

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I've had problems with that happening too Quickdraw. I guess it eventually sorted itself out though. Might wanna try getting a newer version if you are using an older one. It was happening to me with the 3.0.5 or something like that.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Top Bottom