Nashville Flood - Comments.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    I would have to agree. We saw the same thing after Hurricane Rita. Very little national media coverage. We take care of our own & don't wait or expect the Feds to do much. Look at what they do & it turns out to be more of a waste of money than anything else. Case in point... waiting on an environmental study before dredging to protect our coast when you are standing in oil up to your ankles.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They did get short-changed, IMHO.

However- I do not believe it is fair to assume that everyone in New Orleans, SE LA, & the Miss & Ala coasts just sat around waiting for the gov't to save them, either. We all know that wasn't the case.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    And now, for the resentful reply from the permanent subcommitte on self-righteous indignation...as printed in the Sunday May 23rd edition of the Times Picayune.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2010/05/sportscasters_slurs_betray_his.html

New Orleans has seen its share of redemptive moments since Hurricane Katrina, but none can match that magical evening in January when the Saints were awarded their first-ever NFC Championship trophy.

There, on a hastily positioned podium in a delirious Louisiana Superdome, stood quarterback Drew Brees, who spoke often during the playoff run about how the team drew strength from the city's resilience since the storm, how fans and players had overcome adversity together.

And there was coach Sean Payton, whose voice cracked with emotion as he talked about how the stadium "used to have holes in it, and used to be wet."

"It's not wet anymore," Payton said. "this is for the city of New Orleans."

Did any of that register with Chris Myers, the onetime local sportscaster whose current job at Fox Sports positioned him at the center of that glorious tableau?

Or did Myers spend his time at center stage quietly questioning the federal government's reconstruction of the Dome, the first and perhaps most successful major FEMA project? Was he secretly scoffing at the people to whom Payton had alluded, who were trapped there while the ceiling peeled off, and who waited in fetid conditions for days until buses finally arrived?

After what Myers said on the nationally broadcast Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio last week, you've got to wonder.

While contrasting the 2005 storm and levee breaches to the recent catastrophic flooding in Nashville, Myers came out with these words of supposed wisdom: "It's a great country here. We have disasters issues when people pull together and help themselves and I thought the people in Tennessee, unlike -- I'm not going to name names -- when a natural disaster hits people weren't standing on a rooftop trying to blame the government, OK. They helped each other out through this."

Well, he obviously didn't have to name names, given that the images of Louisiana residents stranded on rooftops were as searing as those awful images from the Superdome.

Myers went on to describe the people of Tennessee as "a lot of hardworking, tax-paying, legal American citizens" who "have been affected by the floods and are trying to rebuild their lives," the implicit suggestion being that Katrina's victims don't fit that description. Thus in one fell swoop, Myers pitted disaster victim against disaster victim, completely ignored the role of government negligence, endorsed several old stereotypes about New Orleanians and even threw in a new one. Legal American citizens? Really?

Myers wouldn't have had to stray too far from his apparently limited comfort zone to learn more about what's really been going on since August 2005.

He could have checked in with someone like Denise Thornton, whose husband Doug manages the Dome. Denise Thornton nursed the couple's Lakewood South home back to health after it went under 7 feet of water, and then formed the Beacon of Hope Resource Center to help her neighbors do the same. Once her area got back on its feet, the operation moved to Gentilly, where reconstruction lagged. Instead of comparing or ranking disasters, as Myers seems inclined to do, Thornton has responded to other places' catastrophes with empathy; in 2008, she and several colleagues traveled to Cedar Falls, Iowa, where they offered moral support and practical tips after the Cedar River overflowed.

And if Myers had bothered to do even more research, he'd have learned that Thornton is far from unique. There are countless post-Katrina stories of people helping people. Somehow, Myers seems to have missed them.

The whole situation came to a head Thursday, when Mayor Mitch Landrieu fired off an angry letter to Fox calling Myers' comments "offensive" and "unacceptable" and demanding an apology. Myers complied, conceding that his words were "insensitive" and "inappropriate."

He could have added a few more adjectives more in line with Landrieu's. Ignorant would top my list.

In a perfect world, his ignorance wouldn't matter; the political opinions of a sports guy wouldn't carry much sway -- particularly once he was forced to eat them.
    Yet Myers' high-profile job comes with a great big microphone. The truth is that words have the power to shape opinion, and to hurt.

Next time, maybe he'll remember that before he opens his trap.

Stephanie Grace can be reached at sgrace@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3383.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    While I think that Myer's suffered from a bit of foot and mouth, he has a point. How many people during/after Katrina blaimed everyone but themselves for not getting out of town, or being prepared?

I heard one New Orleans radio broadcaster, from 104.1 I think, mentioning these comments, and talking crap about Myer's, and then he mentioned how Katrina was the WORST DISASTER TO HIT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

And then I laughed, the guy is a moron. I am sorry, but N.O. had a week's warning, it is of my opinion, that while it may have caused more financial damage, the disaster itself was not as bad as some of the Tsunami's and earthquake'ss that have hit places in recent years. a small disaster with no warning should have a larger impact on lives lost than one that gives a week's warning....sorry.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sportscasters really should stick to sports and not pretend to be all-knowing political science experts. They're just no good at it.

Myers should know this by now along with the rest of us. Keith Olbermann is living proof.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Sportscasters really should stick to sports and not pretend to be all-knowing political science experts. They're just no good at it.

Myers should know this by now along with the rest of us. Keith Olbermann is living proof.

yeah....do have to agree with that statement....same thing with hollywood actors and everyone else in the lime light.....hell, most politicians are not qualified to speak on politics...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    yeah....do have to agree with that statement....same thing with hollywood actors and everyone else in the lime light.....hell, most politicians are not qualified to speak on politics...

No doubt- especially without a teleprompter.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    While I think that Myer's suffered from a bit of foot and mouth, he has a point. How many people during/after Katrina blaimed everyone but themselves for not getting out of town, or being prepared?

Actually i think it was a very small percentage, it just happens that those people made for good news. Just like the idiot who shoots a woman in the ass at the range makes the news. It does not mean that all gun owners are negligent.

I literally know hundreds of families that lost everything(myself included) and not one of them waited for a handout.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Actually i think it was a very small percentage, it just happens that those people made for good news. Just like the idiot who shoots a woman in the ass at the range makes the news. It does not mean that all gun owners are negligent.

I literally know hundreds of families that lost everything(myself included) and not one of them waited for a handout.

I agree. I can only speak for what family I have down there, and their story is very much the same as yours.

Top Bottom