New Orleans murder rate remains highest in the nation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_murder_rate_remain.html

May 24, 2010, 10:05PM

Despite some declines in violent crime, New Orleans continues to have the highest murder rate in the nation, according to an FBI report released Monday.

The FBI's uniform crime report, which culls data from law enforcement agencies across the country, shows that violent crime and property crime in the nation, as well as in New Orleans, dropped last year when compared with 2008.

The number of violent crimes reported to the New Orleans Police Department in 2009 fell about 9 percent, while the number of murders remained relatively flat at 174. The city also experienced reductions in all the property crime categories.

Still, New Orleans is far deadlier than other cities......

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Wow! #1 and #6! We kicked ass on that one!
    We go duffy in South LA.:D
    83340743.gif

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    This is a curious situation. I live in Jefferson Parish, and I work in New Orleans, and every day I drive through Hollygrove - a really bad part of town for murders. Yet with few exceptions the people in Hollygrove are very nice to me. We wave and exchange pleasantries, and I drive through with my laptop unmolested. A couple of the kids run up to my car when I stop at one of the stop signs there, and they tell me about their day, and ask how my little girl is doing.

Then night falls, and gunshots ring out. I suppose the ones who are so nice aren't the same people doing the shooting, but I never feel threatened driving to or from work. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't live in Orleans parish for anything, but the killing doesn't seem to extend to outsiders. It seems to just be local people killing each other.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is a curious situation. I live in Jefferson Parish, and I work in New Orleans, and every day I drive through Hollygrove - a really bad part of town for murders. Yet with few exceptions the people in Hollygrove are very nice to me. We wave and exchange pleasantries, and I drive through with my laptop unmolested. A couple of the kids run up to my car when I stop at one of the stop signs there, and they tell me about their day, and ask how my little girl is doing.

Then night falls, and gunshots ring out. I suppose the ones who are so nice aren't the same people doing the shooting, but I never feel threatened driving to or from work. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't live in Orleans parish for anything, but the killing doesn't seem to extend to outsiders. It seems to just be local people killing each other.

A friend of mine is a mailman in one of the worst, most drug- and gang-infested parts of town. The people there treat him with respect and generally leave him alone. When one young punk started cursing at him, one of the older drug dealers slapped him on the back of the head and told him to show some respect.

It does seem odd.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    A friend of mine is a mailman in one of the worst, most drug- and gang-infested parts of town. The people there treat him with respect and generally leave him alone. When one young punk started cursing at him, one of the older drug dealers slapped him on the back of the head and told him to show some respect.

It does seem odd.

"He's da man dat brings the checks fool!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've read most crimes occur between 10pm and 6am.
    No matter how bad your city is, trouble sometimes finds you, but, generally, if you follow the "don't do dumb things with dumb people in dumb places" rule, you'll be fine.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Does anyone post statistics about individuals who where murdered? I would like to know the % of individuals murdered that had a previous history of violent crime or drug crime. Out of the 174 individuals murdered last year how many were not former criminals? Does anyone publish that information?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom