Criminals Target each other, trend shows

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    "The First 48" is one of my favorite shows. Usually, the victim is some piece of sh!t who was gunned down by another piece over drugs or something of the like. This has always made me think, "Why don't we just quarentine them all off and let them kill each other instead of spending tax dollars on cop work, judicial system, prison, etc.?"

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Well I think it is safe to say that it is better to trust data then reality TV. But in this case it happens to be very similar. Someone needs to get a hold of this data for New Orleans, LA.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Great article. I assumed that all the murders in New Orleans(as an example) were probably done by criminals(duh) to criminals ie..gangbangers,drugs,trash...By the way read some of the quotes at the bottom.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Article is from 3 years ago. I wonder if much has changed.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Great article. I assumed that all the murders in New Orleans(as an example) were probably done by criminals(duh) to criminals ie..gangbangers,drugs,trash...By the way read some of the quotes at the bottom.

Man I was the complete opposite I assumed that approximately 50% of those killed where previous criminals and the other 50% where preyed upon by criminals. I really wasn't expecting numbers as high as 91%. Well this makes me feel a whole lot better about my staying out of trouble.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Right before Katrina the Times Picayune had a 5 day story on violent crime and murders in new orleans. It was really amazing how they broke down all the stats. Basically they narrowed down like 90% + of the murders to a core group of a few thousand people and explained how they were all related. The story had maps of where all of the murders and violence took place. It was in like 3 square miles, broken up into certain neighborhoods around the city.

Maybe someone here knows how to look it up, it is definitely worth reading.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Right before Katrina the Times Picayune had a 5 day story on violent crime and murders in new orleans. It was really amazing how they broke down all the stats. Basically they narrowed down like 90% + of the murders to a core group of a few thousand people and explained how they were all related. The story had maps of where all of the murders and violence took place. It was in like 3 square miles, broken up into certain neighborhoods around the city.

Maybe someone here knows how to look it up, it is definitely worth reading.

That would be great. I love me some freakonomics.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I found some links to the series, it was written in Feb. 2004

This paragraph sums up murders in new orleans fairly well.

"For example, among the city's 275 homicide victims last year, the department found that 87 percent of them had criminal records, most with felonies. And among the suspects arrested or identified in connection with those slayings, 91 percent had previous felony arrests. Almost 30 had been arrested before on murder charges. "

http://www.nola.com/speced/cycleofdeath/

Top Bottom