Progressive monitoring driver's habits......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK. I was doing some business the other day and the guy was an insurance agent. Of course he had to sit me down for a quote. One of the companies he uses is Progressive. He started telling about the program they are running where you attach a small little box under your dash, and it monitors your driving habits.

Speed, acceleration, how hard you break, etc. He said if you drive "safely" your insurance goes down.

My concerns...

1. Kinda tin hattish.
    2. What is "safe driving" as far as they are concerned.?
    3. If you-get in an accident, you know it will be used to determine fault.
    4. What else is it monitoring?

It does not look like it has GPS in it, and it is very similar to what LEO can use sometimes to get "black box" data from a car after crash.

Just wondering if anyone is using this.

He said if you are careful how you break and do not drive over 75 much, you could see as much as 25% in insurance savings.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    My progressive agent told me that speed does not effect you. They live in Amite and drive 75-80 mph all the way to Hammond most days. Only hard braking all the time because it usually means you are tailgating. Said it only helps you and does nothing to hurt you. He claims his wife has it and it greatly reduces her bill. It wont make your rates go up so it can only help. If its not helping then just unplug it.

Thinking about putting it in one of our cars to try it out.

I think he also said you can keep up with it online.

Last edited:

RedhorseG20

Smooth as eggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    OK. I was doing some business the other day and the guy was an insurance agent. Of course he had to sit me down for a quote. One of the companies he uses is Progressive. He started telling about the program they are running where you attach a small little box under your dash, and it monitors your driving habits.

Speed, acceleration, how hard you break, etc. He said if you drive "safely" your insurance goes down.

My concerns...

1. Kinda tin hattish.
    2. What is "safe driving" as far as they are concerned.?
    3. If you-get in an accident, you know it will be used to determine fault.
    4. What else is it monitoring?

It does not look like it has GPS in it, and it is very similar to what LEO can use sometimes to get "black box" data from a car after crash.

Just wondering if anyone is using this.

He said if you are careful how you break and do not drive over 75 much, you could see as much as 25% in insurance savings.

My rates would quadruple.

Shouldn't a traffic cop know how to spell "brake"? :mamoru:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Acadian has had these boxes in their ambulances for a long time.

Ask their drivers what happens when they read those boxes!

You couldn't pay me to have one!!!

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I don't have any input on the monitoring device, just a comment on Progressive in case you want to look into it more.
    I've heard and read that Progressive is a liberal company. I can't find links to numbers for the corporate donations. Its chairman supports liberal organizations though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lewis_(businessman)
    http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=2003

You are correct. I canceled my insurance with them a few years back after seeing the organizations they choose to donate to.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I don't have any input on the monitoring device, just a comment on Progressive in case you want to look into it more.
    I've heard and read that Progressive is a liberal company. I can't find links to numbers for the corporate donations. Its chairman supports liberal organizations though.

I dont have them with my truck but when my gf got her 2010 Altima they were the best quote at the time so she went with them. I will be looking into getting her someone else possibly now. I dont want to support someone who dont support my rights.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

We have them for our insurance and have no issued with them.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I canceled my policy with them after 5 years, their rates increased on me without heaving any accident just because I "switched vehicles to often" on the words of the agent. I now have Farm Bureau for both my home and my vehicle and they have been VERY GOOD with me they actually gave me a better policy than progressive for $23 dollars cheaper with almost double the coverage.

If anybody needs the name of a great agent in Lafayette who will work to get you treated like you deserve let me know, I will never ever go back to Progressive after using Farm Bureau.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Big Brother is everywhere.

It's funny how gullible and stupid humans really are.

We're all going to oblivion and wearing our flip flops with a beer in our hands, and alot of us will be covered with crude.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom