Where is NickatNite?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Does this make sense?

Water pressure at 5000 feet is a little over a ton per square inch
    About 2165 psi IIRC.

If the crude oil has a specific gravity of 0.82 (and different crudes have varying spedific gravities) then the pressure at the bottom of a 5000' pipe filled with crude would be 0.82 x 2165 or 1775 psi.

Suppose however that the oil is at the bottom of a hole 8000 feet below sea level under 3000 more feet of rock with a specific gravity of 2.5. Now the total pressure of sea water plus rock overburden at the bottom of the hole could be:
    2165 + (3/5)*2.5*2165 = 5412 PSI

However, the oil in the 8000 foot well would have a pressure of 8/5 * 1775 = 2840 PSI.

So there is a pressure differential of up to 5412 - 2840 = 2572 PSI available to push the oil up the well. Hence the blowout.

Now the above is not exact, since the pressure of the oil flowing out of the sand at the bottom of the well is not as much as the simple calculation would suggest, given that the rock is stiff and there is resistance to flow through the sand or rock to reach the well.

But that is the general idea.

During drilling, the well is supposed to be filled with a dense "drilling mud" in order to overcome the pressure of the oil under the weight of the rock.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ahhh but they're pumping a mix of drilling mud and concrete down that pipe now to do the topkill. I don't know the specific gravity of the mix but its got to be higher than oil.
    and, yes, my head hurts also.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Not as simple as that, but the concept is kind of there. The drilling mud you speak of comes in Lbs/gal. Typical land wells down to the 6000-8000 foot range tend to use a 9.6 lb/gal mud. When you go past that the mud weight moves to 16 lbs/gal. I think the max weight they have in a drilling mud currently is 20 lbs/gal. Just a little FYI.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ahhh but they're pumping a mix of drilling mud and concrete down that pipe now to do the topkill. I don't know the specific gravity of the mix but its got to be higher than oil.
    and, yes, my head hurts also.

Not quite. Right now they are pumping a 14.5ppg Super Salt Saturated Waterbased Mud. IF........IF....they can get the well static then they will pump cement.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Weight up from 9.6 to a 16.0 WOW that would be one hell of a pressure graident.

Sir I need to get a few more sacks of Barite coming.

It mostly has to do with unknown conditions until the well is drilled and logged. It helps to be safe. Of course on the flip side, if you use a heavy mud when it is not needed you can lose circulation as the mud pushes into the formation.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    is it possible , that during the pullout.. they swapped water for the mud as they were gearing up to move ? Swapping out sea water for the mud would be to what advantage? I just heard someone say it and I think he is full of it , but I dont know..

that could explain the blow out though.. it cant be that simple..

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Going from a 9.6 to a 16.0 all at once would be one hell of a weight up. I would hope to have offset data. And I probably would keep my keys and wallet in my pocket. Mud pushing into the formation sure. If you drilled the previous hole section with 9.6 you would probably be asking alot from the shoe. Possible but that might be a bit cowboyish. You might what another intermediate string for a stronger shoe before hitting your 16.0 required zone. And drilling with a 16.0 just for the hell of it when only a 10ish would be required would be quite expensive. Not only for the additional mud properties but also the bits you would burn up being that overbalanced.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    is it possible , that during the pullout.. they swapped water for the mud as they were gearing up to move ? Swapping out sea water for the mud would be to what advantage? I just heard someone say it and I think he is full of it , but I dont know..

that could explain the blow out though.. it cant be that simple..

According to "James" that is exactly what they did. They displaced the riser with sea water prior to setting the upper plug.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2x2cgW3NFU[/ame]

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Going from a 9.6 to a 16.0 all at once would be one hell of a weight up. I would hope to have offset data. And I probably would keep my keys and wallet in my pocket. Mud pushing into the formation sure. If you drilled the previous hole section with 9.6 you would probably be asking alot from the shoe. Possible but that might be a bit cowboyish. You might what another intermediate string for a stronger shoe before hitting your 16.0 required zone. And drilling with a 16.0 just for the hell of it when only a 10ish would be required would be quite expensive. Not only for the additional mud properties but also the bits you would burn up being that overbalanced.

What he meant was the well started at 9.6 and TD'd with a 16.0ppg. Of course they had a weight up schedule as they drilled the well.

Sigforty...we can build mud weights higher than 20ppg, but it's rarely seen over 17ppg in the gulf. Above a 19.0 it's much better to use Ferox instead of Barite. Most land jobs that we're drilling down here start out with 9-10ppg but will end much higher depending on depth.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Does this make sense?

About 2165 psi IIRC.

If the crude oil has a specific gravity of 0.82 (and different crudes have varying spedific gravities) then the pressure at the bottom of a 5000' pipe filled with crude would be 0.82 x 2165 or 1775 psi.

Suppose however that the oil is at the bottom of a hole 8000 feet below sea level under 3000 more feet of rock with a specific gravity of 2.5. Now the total pressure of sea water plus rock overburden at the bottom of the hole could be:

However, the oil in the 8000 foot well would have a pressure of 8/5 * 1775 = 2840 PSI.

So there is a pressure differential of up to 5412 - 2840 = 2572 PSI available to push the oil up the well. Hence the blowout.

Now the above is not exact, since the pressure of the oil flowing out of the sand at the bottom of the well is not as much as the simple calculation would suggest, given that the rock is stiff and there is resistance to flow through the sand or rock to reach the well.

During drilling, the well is supposed to be filled with a dense "drilling mud" in order to overcome the pressure of the oil under the weight of the rock.

I'm keeping my mouth shut but I WILL give you 2 bits of information to help with your search.

Go HERE AND DOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT

then.....

Go HERE AND DOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT, this one had all of the formulas you seek grasshoppa....

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    What he meant was the well started at 9.6 and TD'd with a 16.0ppg. Of course they had a weight up schedule as they drilled the well.

Sigforty...we can build mud weights higher than 20ppg, but it's rarely seen over 17ppg in the gulf. Above a 19.0 it's much better to use Ferox instead of Barite. Most land jobs that we're drilling down here start out with 9-10ppg but will end much higher depending on depth.

Interesting! I thought stuff much higher than 20 would cause issues with the pumping equipment.

You pretty much show my point though at how the mud changes based on depths.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You pretty much show my point though at how the mud changes based on pressure needs and well requirements.

There, fixed it for ya.

Ferox (Hematite) will increase wear in seals, pumps, and other equipment, but it doesn't mean it's not used. Barite (Barium Sulfate) is not as abrasive but there is still a degree of elevated wear and tear compared to pumping straight water. It's used for fluids where possible for that reason. When it comes to mud choices usually the well needs come first though. Maintenance schedules just have to be updated to accommodate what's used.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does this make sense?

About 2165 psi IIRC.

Your calculations are probably correct (I didn't check them)... in an ideal world. Physics equations make nice and neat solutions in the class room, but in the real world things get more complicated. For one, the sea bed and rock are not fluid, so they won't exert pressure in the same way water will. There are also gases being released with the oil, which adds another unknown.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    There, fixed it for ya.

Ferox (Hematite) will increase wear in seals, pumps, and other equipment, but it doesn't mean it's not used. Barite (Barium Sulfate) is not as abrasive but there is still a degree of elevated wear and tear compared to pumping straight water. It's used for fluids where possible for that reason. When it comes to mud choices usually the well needs come first though. Maintenance schedules just have to be updated to accommodate what's used.

thanks! I seem to have a knack for not making my point clear. It always seem to be explained better in my head than on paper.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Interesting! I thought stuff much higher than 20 would cause issues with the pumping equipment.

You pretty much show my point though at how the mud changes based on depths.

Fluid Gradient (Gradientpsi/ft)
    Gradientpsi/ft = 0.052 x Fluid Densityppg
    Gradientpsi/ft = 0.007 x Fluid Densitypcf
    Gradientpsi/ft = 0.433 x Specific Gravity (SG)

Hydrostatic Pressure (HPpsi)
    HPpsi = Gradientpsi/ft x TVDft
    HPpsi = 0.052 x MWppg x TVDft
    HPpsi = 0.007 x MWpcf x TVDft
    HPpsi = 0.433 x SG x TVDft

Bottom Hole Pressure (BHPpsi) while
    Circulating on the Choke

BHPpsi = Hydrostatic Pressurepsi Mud in Drillstring
    + SIDPPpsi

Top Bottom