Help with home A/C

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My A/C stopped working and I narrowed the problem down to a bad HVAC Compacitor(my fan will run with a kickstart, but won't start on its own) , I just don't know where to get one. A quick search at Lowes and Homedepot websites suggests they don't sell them. Any idea who would sells them to the public?

Thanks

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My A/C stopped working and I narrowed the problem down to a bad HVAC Compacitor(my fan will run with a kickstart, but won't start on its own) , I just don't know where to get one. A quick search at Lowes and Homedepot websites suggests they don't sell them. Any idea who would sells them to the public?

Thanks

Muff's Electric Motor Services
    4868 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge, LA 70806-4019
    (225) 927-9221‎

This guy stocks everything, and he's flat out the best in the city for rebuilding motors. He prefers cash only.

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Coburns on Airline Hwy near Sherwood, bring the old with you for numbers. If you are using a kick or firecracker the compressor may be getting weak. Make sure you use it with the new cap to give that little extra. Also Acme on Choctaw close to sherwood end.

stickslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Coburn's Supply, Solar Supply, Acme Refrigeration, Premier Sales, Butcher Supply, A/C Supply, Atlas Refrigeration, Johnstone Supply. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Some of them may not sell to an individual. Johnstone or Coburns might be your best bet. All are in the phone book. Be sure to match the micro farads and the voltage. Ex. 5 uf / 370.....or 7.5 uf / 440...etc. You can go up on the voltage (ex. 370 to 440) but the uf must be the same.

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    Coburn's Supply, Solar Supply, Acme Refrigeration, Premier Sales, Butcher Supply, A/C Supply, Atlas Refrigeration, Johnstone Supply. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Some of them may not sell to an individual. Johnstone or Coburns might be your best bet. All are in the phone book. Be sure to match the micro farads and the voltage. Ex. 5 uf / 370.....or 7.5 uf / 440...etc. You can go up on the voltage (ex. 370 to 440) but the uf must be the same.

^^This^^

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know much about HVAC, but I do have the interwebz and stayed at a Holiday Inn one time, but the Cap I got was $20 and that one is $60. I guess its ok for a pro if you don't have enough room in the truck, but I would rather spend $20 every time as a home owner.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    mine took a lighting strike .......it did the same thing as yours {spin start } I played hell finding some one that would sell me a capacitor . but got it done ....i think i paid $20.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    All of you other A/C guys out there. While kind of on subject.. Any of you try the Turbo-200X Universal Capacitor? No one I talk to has tried one yet. I run a truck with limited space and it would be out of sight if these worked with no hiccups.

http://www.hvacr-tools.com/mm5/merc...duct_Code=Turbo-200X&Category_Code=CAPACITORS

Used them, they work, expensive.you really don't need to carry that much cap stock, make em all 440 and cut inventory in half, use the within 10% formula, I've run trucks for a long time and I don't see the need for more than one of these hi dollar ones

BTW, Dawg's 2 cents.....if you buy a resue motor ( multi hp, multi speed, ) only use it as a trot line weight

If I'm makin trips to the parts house it will be for OEM motors, not over priced caps

Secret to no call backs is OEM and a little extra time... oh yea, and givin a sh*t

stickslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I use the Turbo 200 almost exclusively now. No problems and it saves on truck space. I used to do the same thing myself when in a jamb by jumping two capacitors or even three together when I didn't have the right one. The turbo 200 just does the same thing all in one case.

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    Been doing A/C work for about ten years now. The other two mechanics have KUV Trugly and an express van. They keep a heavy stock of everything.
    I, however, run with a Silverado with saddlebag tool bins. They run most of the service work (being that I am in the shop pretty often fabricating metal duct), but lately I have been catching more calls.
    Bossman has yet to approve a purchase of a Turbo Cap and he probably never will. Just thought i'd get some opinions on them. Might be able to get one on the truck for if i'm in a jam on a saturday afternoon and nobody is open....all the other service guys you know won't pick-up their phones........

Top Bottom