NOPD was bad for me last night, Tulane Police much better

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Had an interesting night last night. Long story short, my truck was stolen with 2 guns in it, brushed off by NOPD, truck later recovered with help from Tulane police department.

I'm hanging out with some coworkers near Carrollton/St. Charles yesterday right after work. I was done by 7, go to truck to leave and it's gone. Figure I may have forgotten where I parked, so walked the block just to make sure. So it's stolen, I see 2 NOPD a block away stopping some college kids for BS stuff. Ask for assistance, tell them truck stolen with firearms in it and get the brush off, told to call impound lot that it was probably towed. Call impound, not towed. They tell me they can't help me. I tell them I want a ranking officer on the scene immediatly. They don't call it in. So I dial 911, give location/situation, when the officers hear me say I want a ranking officer on the scene they jump in their car. Dispatch tells me to get their badge/car number, as I approach car to ask them (windows are down), they take off, turn immediately, I had to jump to avoid being hit (was at a corner) so I couldnt get car number. So dispatch tells me "it could be some time" before anyone comes out because there were some stabbings in the area, lots of officers there looking for suspect, that come first.

So I call a family member on the job for advice, tell him the situation, I know he's got friends/extended family in NOPD. He happens to be friends with the commander of the 2nd district where I'm at, but says nothing can really be done unless I have gun serial numbers, etc.. So he comes to get me so I can go home and get all that and go back to NOPD and take care of it. Some Tulane officers patrolling area stop and hang out with me till he shows up. My family member pulls up in his JP car, they BS a bit b/c he used to be a Tulane officer. Halfway home Tulane calls him on cell, they find my truck ditched a few blocks from where I parked, nothing taken and it's not wrecked. Must have changed mind very quickly or something. So we go back to get truck. Go through truck to make sure guns are there, they were never touched, probably never saw them hidden.

Sad thing is I called 911 at about 1920, at 2145 NOPD still never showed up. So many thanks to the Tulane police department. The officer that came out was early 30's, IRR, we BS'd about guns the whole time until my ride got there.

Rant over.

Last edited:

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Go buy a lottery ticket.You are one lucky man my friend. Not only did you get your ride back but the thugs didn't get your guns.

Crying shame as to how that works. Also sad to see you had to know someone to get some help. In New Orleans - when iin rome act like the Romans. Some things never change.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    So how was your truck broken into and what did they use to start your ignition; screwdriver?
    They tell me they can't help me. I tell them I want a ranking officer on the scene immediatly. They don't call it in. So I dial 911, give location/situation, when the officers hear me say I want a ranking officer on the scene they jump in their car. Dispatch tells me to get their badge/car number, as I approach car to ask them (windows are down), they take off, turn immediately, I had to jump to avoid being hit (was at a corner) so I couldnt get car number.
    That's ****ed up.:rofl:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You should have told them you had 3 dozen of warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the dashboard it would have been recovered in 15 minutes. What do you really expect from the NOPD? I worked downtown for 5 years and wasn't very pleased with the overall quality of people skills, with the good guys and the tourist. I understand they have a very dangerous job but they are there to serve and not just protect.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If they broke the collar on the steering column and used a screwdriver to start it, be carefull about driving it until you can get that repaired. It could lock up the steering column.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Heh, heh, heh ... You sure you didn't just forget where you parked? :)

Just kidding. Glad you got it back man.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    New Chief has spouted a lot of rhetoric--lets see if he walks the talk!! Call the local news media and tell your story--see of they also are up to the task. Try to get or remember the car number. Cruise the quarter and see if you get lucky and see the two officers again. From the way they acted I would not be surprised of they were involved some way. Probably why the car was ditched so fast.

Top Bottom