What kind of paint!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    I was wanting to paint my house and don't know what to use as for as flat, satin, or semi gloss. I think semi gloss but would like to get a few different opinons. Any experts out there???? Thanks John

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    quality exterior latex. prep is 80% of a good job. I use satin or semi-gloss.

+1 make sure you wash the house first I like to mix a half gallon of the cheapest bleach possible with water in a 3 gallon garden sprayer (1:6 ratio) make sure you wet the house before and after real well and the bleach shouldn't harm the plants.

Then scrape/prime/caulk where needed.

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Go to shermin Williams, tell the you know jack about paint and even less about how to paint, but that you are about to spend lots of money in their store. They will teach you all you need to know. And if you spent enough they will open you an account and give you contractors prices. They really have great employees.

Th

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    Charliepapa, I am wanting to paint the exterior of the house. I have already started doing some leg work everyone said the type of paint was optional. I know from experience that flat paint don't clean well inside the house. On the interior to use satin or semi gloss espically with kids and the better the paint the less coats you have to use. I was leaning toward satin on the house and semi gloss on the trim.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    The peeps at the paint store is a good place to get answers. Do not get input from the Wally World paint guy b/c last week he was pushing buugys. Go by SW or that type.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    You shouldn't have to prime anything, just wash, scrub down and recaulk were necessary. Two coats of quality paint and you are done for 5 years.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Use semi-gloss paint. It will last longer in the sunshine than the high-gloss paint, which has a tendency to get fade spots. High-gloss also costs a fortune- for white high-gloss...expect to pay $56.99 a gallon.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Been painting for 15 years. Stay away from Lowe's and Homo Depot. Just say no to Valspar (crap). Sherwin Williams is good paint, but they are extreeeemely proud of it. Benjamin Moore is outstanding and you should find it in the low 30's. Pittsburg is also very good.

Previous poster was correct. Do NOT paint over ANY mildew. It will continue to grow underneath the fresh coat and you are thoroughly screwed.

Lastly, I see people paying 40.00 per for paint and a 5.00 brush and 2.00 roller and I just chuckle and shake my head. You'll get better results with a 20.00 brush and 15.00 paint. Higher gloss = greater durability, but satin will do just fine if thats you taste. Prep right and you should get closer to 10 years.

"Will paint for firearms"

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    Well let me take it a little further. We bought the house it has T-111 siding on it and someone used an oil based gray stain or paint. I guess I really need to use a primer of some sort. I have never painted a house before but I am sure I don't want to do it again in 5 years. How about using a paint sprayer??? Thanks John

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey John,

In this situation, priming is probably a good idea. You can get a very good latex primer from Pittsburg Paint, called Seal Grip. Have it tinted toward your color. if you're lucky, you may get adequate coverage with one top coat. That said, 2 is better than 1.

I have spray equipment, but I'm sceered to use it outside. Can't afford to have folks cars buffed out. Ya see, an airless sprayer achieves 80% transferrence, at best. Meaning that if you use 10 gallons, 2 gallons will be floating on the breeze. If you're in the boonies, go for it. Otherwise..............

Good luck on your project. Congrats on your new home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom