Port Vicent

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Early Saturday morning I was on the Amite at port vincent fishing.
    Almost no-one around when I came around a bend and surprised a dude in a wifebeater and shorts, standing on the bow of his smallish flats boat with some kind of rifle held to his eye scanning the opposite bank.
    He quickly dropped his stance on my approach and lay the rifle down, cruised somewhat closer to me and stammered first that he was Wildlife and Fisheries (yeah right) then changed his mind to "nuisance patrol" and had I seen any gators nesting on the bank? Honestly he looked like he was half in the bag, I mean it was gone 10 oclock lol "No" sez I and he sez he took eight yesterday. He was still muttering as I got out of earshot.
    My questions are, (a) Is it legal to be out on the river armed?
    (b) Is it legal doing what he said he was doing?
    .........I ain't a country boy so s'cuse my ignorance in advance.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It's legal to have the gun but you can't go around shooting gators.

What did he look like? Sounds like Frank.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    It's legal to have the gun but you can't go around shooting gators.

What did he look like? Sounds like Frank.

Don't know Frank but this dude was prolly 5' 10" long curly black hair, white socks pulled to the knee, tan wolverines, no visible tats, black mustache and I swear he was druuunk, and if he were'nt he had one messed up speech impediment :D

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Don't know Frank but this dude was prolly 5' 10" long curly black hair, white socks pulled to the knee, tan wolverines, no visible tats, black mustache and I swear he was druuunk, and if he were'nt he had one messed up speech impediment :D

Nope that wasn't Frank. Sounds like some of the bunch from Little Angola. :)

I would have called LDWF.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Pretty sure its also illegal to shoot from a moving boat. So if he was using a trolling motor or something thats illegal too. If LDWF was watching they could have got him for several violations.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    Pretty sure its also illegal to shoot from a moving boat. So if he was using a trolling motor or something thats illegal too. If LDWF was watching they could have got him for several violations.

Is it illegal to shoot from a moving boat? Not hunt, just shoot? Also, Can you not have trolling motors on the Amite?

It was in a controlled location, but I have tried shooting from a boat at some pre-placed targets before and did not realize I was in violation. (OOPS). We had a safe back drop which was an embankment. We just wanted to see what you could hit from a moving boat. I was not that good btw.

Can somebody clear this up ?

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Is it illegal to shoot from a moving boat? Not hunt, just shoot? Also, Can you not have trolling motors on the Amite?

It was in a controlled location, but I have tried shooting from a boat at some pre-placed targets before and did not realize I was in violation. (OOPS). We had a safe back drop which was an embankment. We just wanted to see what you could hit from a moving boat. I was not that good btw.

Can somebody clear this up ?

As I understood it its illegal to shoot from a moving boat period. If the boat is anchored or tied off its not illegal as long as there are no other factors that make it illegal like being in a WMA. I had not facts behind this its just what a wildlife and fisheries agent told me. No its not illegal to have a trolling motor. I said trolling motor because that would mean the boat was moving.

Top Bottom