Federal government approves new Gulf oil well off Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/federal_government_approvea_ne.html

Federal regulators approved Wednesday the first new Gulf of Mexico oil well since President Barack Obama lifted a brief ban on drilling in shallow water, even while deepwater projects remain frozen after the massive BP spill.

The Minerals Management Service granted a new drilling permit sought by Bandon Oil and Gas for a site about 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana and 115 feet below the ocean's surface. It's south of Rockefeller State Wildlife Refuge and Game Preserve, far to the west of the Deepwater Horizon

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Talking out of both sides of their mouths. Less drilling but more.

"I'm outraged," said Kieran Suckling, executive director for the Tucson, Ariz.,-based Center for Biological Diversity, after a reporter told him of the new permit. "How is it that shallow water drilling suddenly became safe again?"

I'd like to know how is it that what goes on in OUR gulf is any of her business.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I'm surprised... The news actually reported something correct for a change. We will see more of THESE permits to drill approved for shelf drilling. The reason why is that the BOP's for shelf operations are ABOVE the water and just below the rig. So if something happens, there are safeguards and response plans in place that are time proven...

Here is what a set of BOP's look like on a Jack up:

P5030115.jpg

Here is what a set of subsea BOP's look like:

P2190009.jpg

IF, I mean if a blow out happens on a jackup here is what would occur:

Look at the rig to the right
    0692643700.jpg

DSC_0075Large.jpg

In this last picture, what is on fire is what would be either the Production platform or in the case of a new well drilled, the drive pipe.
    4068936199_44b3bffa6d.jpg

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The deepwater ban is stupid. There are safety precautions that were circumvented by BP and the MMS. Assholes caused this, not a flaw in the process.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I learned more about offshore drilling since DWH than I thought I'd ever know

I worked supply boats, crew boats, roustabout on rigs, but never knew what went on in the drilling process

Now that I have been completely confused and amazed at how much every one else knows I wonder if maybe a deepwater ban might be in order until there is a method as sure as the BOP on a jack up for the sub sea wells.

No rock throwin, I'm thinkin out loud

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    The deepwater ban is stupid. There are safety precautions that were circumvented by BP and the MMS. Assholes caused this, not a flaw in the process.

So what were the safety precautions that were circumvented? Got a link for all of us to look at?

BTW, the deepwater drilling ban is a knee jerk reaction due to a situation like this has NEVER happened and NO ONE knows how to fix this, plain and simple...

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So what were the safety precautions that were circumvented? Got a link for all of us to look at?

BTW, the deepwater drilling ban is a knee jerk reaction due to a situation like this has NEVER happened and NO ONE knows how to fix this, plain and simple...

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/bp-mms-ignored-warning-signs
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/u.../json8.nytimes.com/pages/national/index.jsonp

I wouldn't call it a knee jerk reaction. It's what libs want. They just have an excuse to do it now.

It'd be better to drill on land, but we can't do that either.

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    a situation like this has NEVER happened and NO ONE knows how to fix this, plain and simple...

Nuclear bomb would work. It's been proven over 40 years ago. However, Obama would never do it. And BP doesn't want the oil ($) to disappear.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/u.../json8.nytimes.com/pages/national/index.jsonp

I wouldn't call it a knee jerk reaction. It's what libs want. They just have an excuse to do it now.

It IS a knee jerk reaction...

I got ONE question for you on your 2 links. How is it that in the WSJ they are reporting WE were having issues with the well in JUNE when we did NOT get on location and start drilling until Jan 31, 2010?

Click HEREto go to the MMS (govn't link) to where the permit to drill was NOT filed until June and then approved AFTER that date... When is asks for an API number put in the following: 608174117100

Hmmmmmm.... Sounds like the media is once again, spinning a tangled web...

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It IS a knee jerk reaction...

I got ONE question for you on your 2 links. How is it that in the WSJ they are reporting WE were having issues with the well in JUNE when we did NOT get on location and start drilling until Jan 31, 2010?

Click HEREto go to the MMS (govn't link) to where the permit to drill was NOT filed until June and then approved AFTER that date... When is asks for an API number put in the following: 608174117100

Hmmmmmm.... Sounds like the media is once again, spinning a tangled web...

IMO it's a political move more than a reaction.

From the NY Times link
    On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

This was prior to drilling.

Do you have a link to the WSJ article you're talking about.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Nuclear bomb would work. It's been proven over 40 years ago. However, Obama would never do it. And BP doesn't want the oil ($) to disappear.

Even tho this is true, proven effective several times BUT

Owama could never fly nuke by his UN cronies

How they gonna tell wacko 3rd world freakazoids they can't have nukes for "defense " when we use one to save our ass, he'd rather let all 3 coasts slime out

Hows that for transparency

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    IMO it's a political move more than a reaction.

From the NY Times link

This was prior to drilling.

Do you have a link to the WSJ article you're talking about.

Apologies on the link, I meant NY Times...

As far as the casing goes, ALL casing or pipe for that matter has a burst and collapse point, it's made by man...

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    IMO it's a political move more than a reaction..

I will agree that is was a political move to an extent. Just enough to where the President shifted the blame from him to Mr. Salazar to make Salazar look like the bad man.

Remember, our fearless president plainly said that he would "take full responsibility" for handling this and then the fabulous memo came out yesterday with NO mention of a Presidential order....

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    It's NOT stupid at all. It really shows how UN-educated YOU are in offshore drilling....

we shall see. clearly bp took shortcuts and didnt operate to their tenants on this well. It will come out. Ive done enough work with BP to know how cocky and arrogant they can be, but the only problem is that it will bite all of us, not just them. do you work for BP? I remember you were on the rig.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    CS - it is clear they can't fix the problem when there is a problem, so... it isn't stupid. It is stupid to poke holes in the earth you can't plug when it will destroy the entire Gulf of Mexico for years to come.

I'm about as conservative, pro-business, pro-petroleum, pro-internal combustion, pro-drilling as you will find and I don't want them to drill in deep water right now, either. Until they can overcome problems like the one we are facing now - why drill there when they could be drilling in Anwar for pennies on the dollar or working on the tar sands/shale technology?

Like Nick said, it is a knee jerk reaction, but based on the scope of the issue at hand, I don't think it is out of line. The technology to handle worst case scenarios doesn't exist, and the worst case scenario is really really really bad.

+1000. Obviously I'm also pro-industry, the oil and natural gas industry has fed my family for nearly four decades and it will continue to feed my children for many more years to come.

Land and shallow water accidents can be quickly contained. Deepwater disasters cannot. Chances are we may never have another incident like this. But we might. And it's an entire coastline that's ruined. Not something I'm currently in favor of. The "silver lining" to this accident, if there is one, is that we are learning valuable lessons. This may lead us to safely drill at those depths someday. But IMO we need to re-explore our technology for now.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette

Actually, we are drilling on land. I'm a network administrator for a directional drilling company and I manage a network of drillers from Wyoming to Pennsylvania.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I missed that.

Cloud, we have family up in the Winnsboro area. It's a rural farming community and many men work in Arkansas on the land rigs because a lack of jobs. My husband's cousin worked a land rig in Colorado and another is currently in Pennsylvania. I know more folks who work the land rigs than I do offshore.

And if I recall correctly, Hellfighters based on Red Adair opened by John Wayne battling a blow out on a land rig and that was in the late sixties early seventies I believe.

Top Bottom