Louisiana Tops the list

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    the most entertaining part of the article is the responses from their readers forum:

'Blacks make up 13% of the population and committ 39% of murders. So what does that mean? Does it mean Blacks own 3 time s more guns? But don't most blacks live in areas where gun ownership is restircted or illegal?
    Where does their "gun ownership" stats come from? There is no record to determine it, they made it up.

Why do states such as Vermont that have conceal carry have such low "gun deaths"? Why do places with the most severe gun laws DC and Chicago have such high gun murder rates?"

I'M betting that comment will raise some ire by tomorrow morning.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Maybe if they took a look at the figures for felons shooting felons, the numbers would make a bit more sense. Or the logical aspect of this argument could be ignored, as always.

Not sure what's worse-- the notion that outlawing guns in the hands of citizens will save lives, or the fact that these anti-2A groups think they'll ever make a difference. Imagine if their efforts were put towards something useful for a change. I mean, right now... that's a lot of wasted resources.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Useless article. Illegal acts involving guns would actually be useful. Things would look different then. And, as one of the posters said, most of the crime is tied to welfare and broken families.

Libs forget that the right to bear arms secures every other right. If you think Chicago is bad, just wait until the gov't is the only one with them.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I couldn't help but wonder whether they correlated automotive deaths to car ownership, then reached the same conclusion? I mean 20 deaths per 100,000? Even by media standards that's statistically insignificant.

What I got from that article is that guns are safe. Very safe. More safe than cars.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    What a one-sided article. In one paragraph:

"The equation is simple," said Kristen Rand, the nonprofit's legislative director. "More guns lead to more gun death, but limiting exposure to guns saves lives."

Ms. Rand blatantly states, the more guns there are, the more gun death there is, and calls figuring this out "simple". But in the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH:

While the study does suggest a correlation between gun ownership and the rate of death from gunfire, the numbers do not correlate exactly, For instance, Mississippi, Alaska and Alabama all have substantially higher gun-ownership rates than Louisiana, but lower rates of death from gunfire, the survey says.

Most people will read until "It's simple, more guns equals BAD".

Ugh.

Peace,
    Swami

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I posted the following in response to a Mr/ Black panther comment.

You are 100% wrong.

It's similar to the comparison of squares and rectangles. All squares are rectangles, but all rectangles aren't squares.

A "gun death" includes all murders that were committed with guns, as well as justifiable homicides that involved guns, gun suicides, and accidental deaths.

Due to the fact that New Orleans has the highest murder rate in the nation, one can't help but feel that would skew the "gun death" rate up a good bit.

I'd like to make a suggestion. How about we take out all of the "gun deaths" where the perpetrator was a felon who wasn't legally allowed to own a gun anyways. That would make the rates indicative of the death rates from legally owned guns. My hypothesis is that LA's rate would plummet to a rate more in line with the national average.

Ahh, New Orleans. Felons killing Felons for 20+ years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom