Ohio: Officer estimates enough for speeding convictions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmyzshack

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Houma
    I pick and choose my battles. Just so happens I pick and choose all of them:). All of them I am right about that is. I got stopped for not seat belt about 1 year ago. I just paid the fine. Y? I did not have my seatbelt on.

A few years ago i got stopped for speeding and was given a ticket for not wearing my seat belt (which i was) and i paid it! :D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    A few years ago i got stopped for speeding and was given a ticket for not wearing my seat belt (which i was) and i paid it! :D

you see, I don't belive in that, or officers stopping you for going 20 over but give you a break and write for 10.

To me, that is the same as writing a bogus ticket.

When it comes to discretion, I write the ticket for the offense, or I write nothing.

i have seen guys get hemmed up on the stand because they "cut a guy a break"

ATTORNY:
    "So you wrote my client a ticket for no seatbelt. Was he wearing his seatbelt?"

OFC- "yes, he was, but...."

ATTORNY: " SO you wrote him a ticket for a crime he didn't commit?"

OFC "yeah, but.."

The way things are done today, it is almost guaranteed that the DA will dismiss or drop the charge as loong as you have a decent record. That is the DA's job, not mine. I write the ticket for the crime committed or simply give a verbal warning for the crime committed.

Either way, my integrity, both personally and professionally is intact. No one can ever say i wrote a ticket to someone for something they did not due, no matter what my motives were.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    There is much more to the case than just that. In this case, the officer had hit him with the radar and clocked him going 82 in a 60, however at a trial the LEO had no proof of being trained with the radar so it was ruled inadmissible. Regardless I think it's a bad decision and I am glad Louisiana's supreme court is not as liberal as Ohio. A LEO's word should be held in even regard as any other witness including the person proposed of the crime unless that persons previous actions bring in question their character. The courts really uphold that except in traffic cases.

I agree.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    you see, I don't belive in that, or officers stopping you for going 20 over but give you a break and write for 10.

To me, that is the same as writing a bogus ticket.

When it comes to discretion, I write the ticket for the offense, or I write nothing.

The way things are done today, it is almost guaranteed that the DA will dismiss or drop the charge as loong as you have a decent record. That is the DA's job, not mine. I write the ticket for the crime committed or simply give a verbal warning for the crime committed.

Either way, my integrity, both personally and professionally is intact. No one can ever say i wrote a ticket to someone for something they did not due, no matter what my motives were.

Yep. I might stop someone for speeding and see their tag is expired as well, cite them for speeding and warn them about the tag, but I don't introduce into the equation some totally non-existent issue such as a seatbelt. That's just begging for problems in court. If you're willing to fudge on stuff like that, where do you stop? If you want to give them a break, don't write the ticket, or write the one you stopped them for and give them the break on all the other administrative violations you subsequently note ("Sir, if you weren't aware, you need to get a brake tag more than once in a decade. That one is on me today, but since you were going 27 over in a school zone, I need you to sign right here..."). There is no such thing, though, as "No Seatbelt 0-10mph over".

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Hell, I'll toss this out there. I was very close to posting this the day it happened as it threw me for one hell of a loop. It's been three months or better.

Got a ticket. My fault. No excuses. Took it with an apology because I knew better. Didn't try to explain or reason. Would have been a waste of his time, and prolonged the amount of time I was on the side of the road.

He didn't cut me a break. As he was handing it to me, he reiterated I needed to drive safe, he didn't want to see anybody have an accident again. BUT!!! then he suggested if I knew anybody who could fix the ticket, then that would be okay.

WTF?!?! He walked off but I must have sat there for several long seconds stunned. It was totally not what I expected.

I still haven't figured that one out.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom