Why not just pinch the pipe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's what I was thinking a while ago. Seems like a multiple level, multi-directional crimp would be fairly easy to do and would stop or greatly reduce the flow. :dunno:

3axap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    You have to consider the potential issues if the pinch plan fails. What are you left with? Chances are, the pressure drop caused by the pinch will barely put a dent in the volumetric flow coming through the pipe since the oil is being driven by pretty high pressure down the well (10-15k psi bottom pressure I think). In the end, you'll likely just have a nice nozzle that causes the oil to come out at a higher velocity and jeopardizes any further containment efforts. Also, pinching a 20+ inch riser pipe with the drill pipe inside of it is something that is probably near impossible to do anyway.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    That's what I was thinking a while ago. Seems like a multiple level, multi-directional crimp would be fairly easy to do and would stop or greatly reduce the flow. :dunno:

Once they cut the pipe flush with the riser the pinch option is out the window. They are just buying time.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    or possibly unbolt it at the flange where they are cutting above and bolt on a valve assembly and slowly start pinching it off

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I am wondering if the releif wells will actually work. I have not heard much about that process. What is the % of it working?

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    One reason a 'pinch' would not work is the fact that the riser is bent and leaking right above the flange on top of the BOP. If they were to pinch the riser on any accessible place it would just increase the leak rate at the bend of the riser. I don't know if there is room under the BOP for a pinch though.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    One reason a 'pinch' would not work is the fact that the riser is bent and leaking right above the flange on top of the BOP. If they were to pinch the riser on any accessible place it would just increase the leak rate at the bend of the riser. I don't know if there is room under the BOP for a pinch though.

I dont believe it was leaking right above the flange until they cut it yesterday.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La

The flange i'm looking at is below where the riser is bent but looks to be above the BOP assembly. Is there a reason why they are cutting the pipe above the above the flang rather than just unbolting? Is it equipment capabilties?

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA

This will never happen. They would not be able to recover ANY of the oil if the pipe was crimped. BP will not be able to drill another well, so they have to try to recover as much of the reserve through the existing tap.

BTW- It was already pinched when the rig fell over. When they finally get this pipe cut, the flow will not be restricted at all. Oil will be spewing out at 5 to 6,000psi. SCARY!!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    When they finally get this pipe cut, the flow will not be restricted at all. Oil will be spewing out at 5 to 6,000psi. SCARY!!

It was already cut. Keep in mind that it is only leaking from one location now. That will account for some of this increased flow.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Oh, last I heard this morning was the saw was binded up and stuck. Were they able to finish cutting with the saw, or did they shear it?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom