Director James Cameron says BP turned down help offer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100603/en_nm/us_oil_spill_cameron

PALOS VERDES, Calif (Reuters) – Film director and deep-sea explorer James Cameron said on Wednesday that BP Plc turned down his offer to help combat the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

"Over the last few weeks I've watched, as we all have, with growing horror and heartache, watching what's happening in the Gulf and thinking those morons don't know what they're doing," Cameron said at the All Things Digital technology conference.

Cameron, the director of "Avatar" and "Titanic," has worked extensively with robot submarines and is considered an expert in undersea filming. He did not say explicitly who he meant when he referred to "those morons."

His comments came a day after he participated in a meeting at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency headquarters in Washington to "brainstorm" solutions to the oil spill.

Cameron said he has offered to help the government and BP in dealing with the spill. He said he was "graciously" turned away by the British energy giant......

Among the key issues that Cameron said he is interested in helping the government with are methods of monitoring the oil leak and investigating it.

"The government really needs to have its own independent ability to go down there and image the site, survey the site and do its own investigation," he said.

"Because if you're not monitoring it independently, you're asking the perpetrator to give you the video of the crime scene," Cameron added.

Cameron made two documentaries about the wreck of the Titanic as well as the blockbuster 1997 movie "Titanic" using a small fleet of specially designed remotely operated underwater vehicles.

He said his qualifications are not based on his background as a movie director but on his years of involvement in the deep-sea industry.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I say the original story. I though it was a joke. James cameron? Come one what is he going to do?

Yep another hollywood liberal to the rescue. I know,. lets see what Alec Baldwin would do. If the govment dont stop the leak maybe all of hollywood will move out of the country. If Bush was in office........ dont matter cause it is his fault anyway.:eh:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    "...has worked extensively with robot submarines and is considered an expert in undersea filming."

Ok, what does that have to do with oil well control?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "...has worked extensively with robot submarines and is considered an expert in undersea filming."

Ok, what does that have to do with oil well control?

It means he could film the well just like we already have now except he'd probably make a propaganda filled blockbuster movie afterward that libs would eat up.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I thought he pretty well explained how he could help. However, I'm not sure who is stopping him from just going out there and launching his submarines if he wanted to?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    "The government really needs to have its own independent ability to go down there and image the site, survey the site and do its own investigation," he said.

"Because if you're not monitoring it independently, you're asking the perpetrator to give you the video of the crime scene," Cameron added.

This is it, plain and simple. He's looking to cut a fat hog and he's laying it out as to what he thinks he needs to be doing and why it's justified. All he's got to do is convince the gov't that the taxpayers the current administration will benefit from paying him his price. Unless of course he's going to work for free in the name of humanity and the environment.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's not as if BP can mask the spill anyway. We can see the oil. I think having a gov't IT person monitoring the video equipment would be enough. We just need to make sure BP doesn't run a loop or anything.

Top Bottom