Registering a car in LA purchased in TX

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    We just purchased a car that is in Houston and I was wondering how long I have to register it. I assume you have some time you can drive it since you must get an inspection sticker to get it registered. Basically , do I have 30 days like if it were registered in another state? What do I display to drive it until I get it registered?

Thanks

Nick

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Can't remember how long you have, 2 weeks or somthing, maybe a month. All that is needed is insurance and the money to pay taxes, transfer and tag if it is a Texas title and was notarized in texas.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I bought my motorcycle in Houston, transported it home and registered it when I got home in La. IIRC, you have 30 days. I had a 30 day Tx paper plate. I also made sure I didn't pay tax in Tx. I've heard of people being charged tax twice on out of state veh purchases, cuz La is really a backwards third world country ;). Paid the La taxes when I registered it in La.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I bought my truck from texas luckily it was from a dealership and they took care of everything. I didnt get inspected in LA until a month after I had the LA liscense plate. And I paid LA taxes at the dealership not TX taxes. They are dumfounded that our taxes were twice what it was in Houston.

flatsman007

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    St.Rose
    When I moved back here 3 years ago with two cars I bought in Dallas while living there I had a big shock. Good luck and don't pass out when they ask for the $1200.00 Road Usage Tax per vehicle.

Top Bottom