Who can press out a barrel pin?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Since this is the only AK related forum I figured I would put this in here. I am trying to rework my Polytech Legend Ak47. It went thru Katrina and right now I have it almost disassembled. I need to get the barrel pin out and the barrel removed so I can work on finishing my cleaning of the receiver. Anyone out there know of a shop or person who can help me?

Mark B.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Location??? If in BR I could help you out. If your still in NO contact #1bambam.

BTW why are you removing the barrell. There are plenty of ways to clean a gun that dont require disassembly. An electrolysis bath or ultrasonic cleaner come to mind.

jdb3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Franklinton, La.
    I'm in Franklinton and will let you do it at your own risk. I've got a 20T press but you'll be pulling the trigger, so to speak.

How bad is it? Pics?

I've done some major cleanup with a cell phone charger, $4 rubbermaid container, ammonia, vinegar and water.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I am in BR. Let me try to get some pics up of the gun tonight. I actually have used naval jelly to remove most of the rust on the gun. I want to take off the barrel and possibly replace it while I am working on the gun. Once I get it all cleaned I am going to send it off for reblueing or coating.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    lay that fricker on a rug over concrete. get a punch that is bigger than the barrel pin to start. beat the barrel pin till it is flush with the trunion. then go with something that is smaller.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    lay that fricker on a rug over concrete. get a punch that is bigger than the barrel pin to start. beat the barrel pin till it is flush with the trunion. then go with something that is smaller.
    Bad Idea. You run the risk of damaging the gun and you will never get a serious pin out.

The method I use, even though I own a press, does use a BFH.

I clamp it in my bench vice between two pieces of 2x4. My vice is bolted to a 500lb welding table. You need a sturdy surface for this. Take a 1/2 round nose punch and grab it with a pair of vise grips about midway. Lay the vise grips on the vise and touch the punch to the pin. Then get at least a 3lb hammer and swing away. It will move. When you get it in the hole where the RN punch cant reach it, finish it up with a longer punch.

Now getting the barrel out of the reciever without destroying the reciever will be the trick. I have done this before by welding a jig to my welding table and pulling it out with a piece of allthread.

You probably dont need to pull the barrel. It is probably still servicable.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I am not sure if it needs to be, but I figured since I was redoing the who gun it would be a good time. I guess I really just need someone else to take a look at it.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    Bad Idea. You run the risk of damaging the gun and you will never get a serious pin out.

The method I use, even though I own a press, does use a BFH.

I clamp it in my bench vice between two pieces of 2x4. My vice is bolted to a 500lb welding table. You need a sturdy surface for this. Take a 1/2 round nose punch and grab it with a pair of vise grips about midway. Lay the vise grips on the vise and touch the punch to the pin. Then get at least a 3lb hammer and swing away. It will move. When you get it in the hole where the RN punch cant reach it, finish it up with a longer punch.

Now getting the barrel out of the reciever without destroying the reciever will be the trick. I have done this before by welding a jig to my welding table and pulling it out with a piece of allthread.

You probably dont need to pull the barrel. It is probably still servicable.

worked great for me, and I had tried in a vice like you explained with no luck. no damage at all. we beat them out at bams using pretty much the same procedure.

I admittedly havent done it but once, but I have read on various forums people using the same procedure with great results.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    When you get one that has a burr on it, or when you get it out and its curved like a bannana, even my method has problems. I have had to drill out two that upon removing the old pin, were burred up very badly. Even a press and a air hammer would not move them. The more steady your vice and worktable, the better it works.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I am not sure if it needs to be, but I figured since I was redoing the who gun it would be a good time. I guess I really just need someone else to take a look at it.

Before you do, try this method. Scrub as mush rust off as you can and this will work better. http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728

Personally I do this with an automotive battery charger and a wallpaper paste tray. You also may have to change the water out several times. When done, a lot of the crap in the bore will be gone, but it still may look rough. Bores, especially on an ak, dont have to be spotless to shoot well. Clean the metal and re assemble the rifle and test fire it. What have you got to loose?

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Well I ended up leaving the barrel on. I did though have Bambam help me remove the rear sight and knock out the gas tube locking lever that broke. So does anyone have any recommendations on who does good Parkarizing work?

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I personally saw Bam hammer out a barrel pin that had been mushroomed and one side drilled with a claw hammer, a punch, and a pair of vise grips... oh and I stood on it on LACarry's wooden steps

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    If bambam can't help I can get it out. It usually takes about 15 minutes with the 12-ton press. I'm in Metry just before you get to N.O. People have shipped me their kits from all over the country when they can't get them out. Every single one has fallen to "the judge."

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks for the offers but I saw Bam and chose to leave it in. I am going to have the gun blasted and parkerized next when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom