Whats is its history and what is it worth....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    I got this knife, its Ivory and looks to be used. Could have been used during WW2 or maybe not. It was given to my uncle from some gov person high up in Nepal, my unlce was a high ranking military person. He gave it to me and I have been having it for like 5 years and I never figured out its value.

So any info and what its worth would help me out...
    485efa16.jpg

6e055455.jpg

2b64feac.jpg

1f692b45.jpg

168d533c.jpg

I know its supposed to be used for the nepal gurkhas, buts this is a bit more fancy.

Some examples of "Kukuri"

kukuri01.jpg

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Unless it was Steven Segal's knife, I doubt it saw combat use - way too flashy for the field.

How are those medallions held on? It could be a decent way to tell how old it is - they didn't use superglue back then :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The important thing would be to try and figure out if it has any markings that would determine if its real or if its an imitation.

Just by looking at the pics it looks the handle is made out of elephant horn, the blade apears to be silver.

Does it have any markings???????????????????????

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    That thing is b-e-a-utiful. I fell in love with the Kukuri the very first time my grandpa let me hold one back in the mid 80's. I now have his (may he rest in peace) and a few of my own.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The bad thing about items like this is that they are easily copied and imitations are all over the place, one of my relatives was lucky enough to be working in Africa back in the late 90's and he wanted a true warrior sword, he asked his guide to find him one and they took him to this place that selled supplies. They took him in the back of the store and this guy opens up a blanket and tells him $100 and its yours he didnt thought much of it he payed the guy and left. A few days later he starts to wonder what if this damm sword is real and what kind of trouble am I looking at if I get cought with a stolen item.

Make the long story short the national museum had been broken in about 1 year before he got there and most of the warrior items had been taken, he contacted somebody who knew a lot about this items and payed the guy $20 dollars to check on the sword the guy assured him all the items had been taken to private collectors in Europe and there was NO chance the sword he had was real, when he opened the blanket the guy jumped about 3 foot high and got on his knees and started praying telling him that sword was real and that it had magic powers and also a curse the local gave him the $20 back and said he had to go.

He had to pay $50 dollars to the customs agent in Africa for him to put the damm sword in the Airplane as a "gift", doing some research a few years back he found out that this swords can go up to $50,000.00 in a private collection depending on who it bellonged to, but at the same time the African Government will put you in prison for 35 years if they catch you with one.

Thats why I said markings on it could really help to determine if its an imitation or a real thing and also the price will depend from it.

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    being young and dumb with no clue on how to fix a loose handle. A expert would need to go though and fix and clean it up.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Well, at least I know it wasnt stolen. It was a diplomatic gift from some big wig to my uncle. My uncle then gave it to me.

LOL and how you know the history before that point ??????????

Thats why I said things like this are very neat to figure out exactly where they came and trace them back but at the same time you could open a can of trouble

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You should have markings on both the handle and on the coper piece that attaches the handle to the knife, sometimes you will find some on the first 1/4 of an inch that is exposed of the knife after the coper.

Try and find markings like initials it could help determine who it belonged to

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Well it was a diplomatic gift, how old it is.....thats going to be one hell of a answer.

Somewhere in some file cabinet will have some paperwork about the gift....from Nepal leader to him....

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Guate, you watch a lot of pawn stars? :D

No I helped my relative try to find some info on the damm sword until I knew there was prison time attached to the damm thing then I said C YA LOL!

Its pretty freaking interesting though, unfurtunetly I am not lucky enough to own or come up with deals that are worth jumping on.

Last edited:

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    cant seem to find any date markings, maybe if any where there its faded ? I recall my unlce telling me about how the gurcas would scare the japanese when they invaded Nepal.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    With older handmade knives, it's tough to find a maker if there aren't any distinguishing marks. Hell, that one may be the only one ever made.

From those pics, the blade looks stamped :(

Get a NICE camera and take some pics of it, and then start sending them around to auction houses for appraisals.

Good luck.

-Dave

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    The bad thing about items like this is that they are easily copied and imitations are all over the place, one of my relatives was lucky enough to be working in Africa back in the late 90's and he wanted a true warrior sword, he asked his guide to find him one and they took him to this place that selled supplies. They took him in the back of the store and this guy opens up a blanket and tells him $100 and its yours he didnt thought much of it he payed the guy and left. A few days later he starts to wonder what if this damm sword is real and what kind of trouble am I looking at if I get cought with a stolen item.

Make the long story short the national museum had been broken in about 1 year before he got there and most of the warrior items had been taken, he contacted somebody who knew a lot about this items and payed the guy $20 dollars to check on the sword the guy assured him all the items had been taken to private collectors in Europe and there was NO chance the sword he had was real, when he opened the blanket the guy jumped about 3 foot high and got on his knees and started praying telling him that sword was real and that it had magic powers and also a curse the local gave him the $20 back and said he had to go.

He had to pay $50 dollars to the customs agent in Africa for him to put the damm sword in the Airplane as a "gift", doing some research a few years back he found out that this swords can go up to $50,000.00 in a private collection depending on who it bellonged to, but at the same time the African Government will put you in prison for 35 years if they catch you with one.

Thats why I said markings on it could really help to determine if its an imitation or a real thing and also the price will depend from it.

and Africa doesn't have internet and cant google your post?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom