Hello from Hammond

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    You shoot IDPA or IPSC up there? Are you a member of TPSA? We are having our banquet this Saturday night if you need to renew your membership or join the club...

Unfortunately, no and no. I have shot at the range in Amite a few times, but never in competition. I have always wanted to, but either have a ton of things to do, or work, or just wimp out. I talk myself out of it because I probably would be embarrassed by my performance.

Just out of curiosity, where is the banquet?

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    D-Day, Let me know when you are going to shoot and I'll shoot that day. No one can be worse than me. i have never shot in a pistol competition but have shot at the range plenty.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Our banquet is at Trey Yuen in Hammond, but you need to RSVP to Robert. His email address is listed on the TPSA club site through the www.lagator.org website. Come on out, sign up, meet a bunch of new people.

And don't worry about how bad you might or might not shoot. I had to start at the bottom and only recently have started to move up to something respectable (in my opinion), but i have slipped on my practicing due to some financially hard times recently so the little I have advanced could have been more had I been practicing at the levels I was a few years ago. You can't improve if you don't come out and work at it. And practical shooting competition blows away practicing at a stationary target in a stationary position. If you ever need to depend on your firearm for your life or your family to survive a bad situation, you better know how to use it and use it well. You need to know what to do when the gun does choke under pressure and how to resolve your problem to get through to the end of the fight (or stage if you are practicing/gaming/etc...). The only way to get good at that is dry fire practice, live fire practice, and lots of specialty drills that many times fall within the scope of our competitions (strong hand, weak hand, carrying a briefcase while engaging targets, tactical reloads, tactical shooting orders to make you think while under a timer, mandatory reloads in the middle of a course of fire, moving targets via windmills/texas star/swingers, etc...).

Don't worry about being in last place or near the bottom of the scores, it will take time and practice to advance. And really, I don't look at a score to see how close I am to being the next Rob Leatham. I use the scores to judge how much I have improved in my shooting.

Anyway, time for me to bug out of the office and head back home....shoot Robert an email if you want to come out Saturday night or shoot me a PM and I will forward your RSVP to Robert. We usually have 50-75 people there minimum. We will be voting in the officers of the club and other topics. Drinks at 6pm, dinner at 7pm.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    D-Day, Let me know when you are going to shoot and I'll shoot that day. No one can be worse than me. i have never shot in a pistol competition but have shot at the range plenty.

I will def. keep that in mind when I make the leap.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Our banquet is at Trey Yuen in Hammond, but you need to RSVP to Robert. His email address is listed on the TPSA club site through the www.lagator.org website. Come on out, sign up, meet a bunch of new people.

And don't worry about how bad you might or might not shoot. I had to start at the bottom and only recently have started to move up to something respectable (in my opinion), but i have slipped on my practicing due to some financially hard times recently so the little I have advanced could have been more had I been practicing at the levels I was a few years ago. You can't improve if you don't come out and work at it. And practical shooting competition blows away practicing at a stationary target in a stationary position. If you ever need to depend on your firearm for your life or your family to survive a bad situation, you better know how to use it and use it well. You need to know what to do when the gun does choke under pressure and how to resolve your problem to get through to the end of the fight (or stage if you are practicing/gaming/etc...). The only way to get good at that is dry fire practice, live fire practice, and lots of specialty drills that many times fall within the scope of our competitions (strong hand, weak hand, carrying a briefcase while engaging targets, tactical reloads, tactical shooting orders to make you think while under a timer, mandatory reloads in the middle of a course of fire, moving targets via windmills/texas star/swingers, etc...).

Don't worry about being in last place or near the bottom of the scores, it will take time and practice to advance. And really, I don't look at a score to see how close I am to being the next Rob Leatham. I use the scores to judge how much I have improved in my shooting.

Anyway, time for me to bug out of the office and head back home....shoot Robert an email if you want to come out Saturday night or shoot me a PM and I will forward your RSVP to Robert. We usually have 50-75 people there minimum. We will be voting in the officers of the club and other topics. Drinks at 6pm, dinner at 7pm.

Thanks for all the info and the re-assurance. I had no idea TPSA had that many people in it. I don't know if I can make it to the banquet, but I guess it is time I signed up.

Thanks Again!

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I here ya...you say Amite and people go..huh????

Come out to the range this Saturday. I will be one of the RO's. We'll have a few Glocks on hand if you want to see some different sizes/calibers.

haha... im actually about to move in October...
    That sounds good... hope I can make it out... who should I ask for if I am able to make it and around what time?

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    haha... im actually about to move in October...
    That sounds good... hope I can make it out... who should I ask for if I am able to make it and around what time?

I'll have the range open by 10am. The sheriff requires us to keep it open from 10-2 each Saturday except for the first Saturday where we hold our match. Just ask for the Range Officer. I'll be there along with probably a few other regular shooters from our club that are RO's as well.

I'm Richard though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom