.22 Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    The dip works perfect on stainless. I soaked my whole can in the dip for days, took it apart, and wiped it clean with a rag. Looked like the day I bought it. I agree about the cost-benefit of the can that Derf speaks of. I use mine on three calibers so that's why I went with the Spectre.

Good Luck

LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    I'll have to second what Derf said. That is a quiet and inexpensive can. We sell a lot of 22 cans and have several models from several manufacturers in stock and when you get up to the $500 and more range, you get full auto versatility and ease of taking apart and cleaning, but the difference between 28 and 34 db is not enough for most people to justify another $200 or more in price. Now I have taken a $150 can and put it against a $250 can on the same handgun and you can tell a little difference, but not enough for most to go that extra money to $450 or more.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I would also look at the Liberty Kodiak. I have a 22Sparrow, had I known about the kodiak at the time, I would have purchased it.

Just for a frame of reference, lets assume the Element Metered as the quietest can on a Walther P22

The Spectre would be 2.5 decibles louder
    The Kodiak would be 3 db louder
    22Sparrow is 5.8 db Louder
    Outback 2 is 6 db louder
    Tac-65 is 8.4 db louder

Those numbers are different on a rifle. The point is, there is tons of data out there. I am going to have to disagree that a few db doesnt matter. Depending on the tone, it can make a large difference. You are investing $200 for the stamp, so that is a fixed cost regardless.

I would look at the Element, 22Sparrow, Kodiak, and Spectre, probably not much else.

www.silencertalk.com, www.nfatalk.org, and www.silencerresearch.com are all good resources.

Its an investment for life. If you do decide to get an aluminum can, a small blast cabinet is a good investment.

Also remember the "Dip" is not exactly the easiest or most convenient thing. You have lead acetate you must dispose of properly and there are other hazards. If I had a SS can, I would still media blast it.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Skip silencertalk.com as a place to get info. That site is ran by people who work for AAC, so guess who makes the "greatest products ever". Go to silencerreview.com, pay for a premium membership, and get facts.

PS: My .22 YHM Wraith was rebuilt by Liberty and now has Kodiak internals.
    JR1572

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Keep in mind that while an employee of AAC does own silencertalk, there are industry sections for a lot of the major manufacturers, and a TON of good unbiased information by non-AAC employees. And the AAC employees that do post are quite professional when it comes to that, I dont think they have ever slandered other products. They have a right to the "greatest products ever" when their cans consistently meter the lowest and have military contracts. Not saying the element is the can to get (I would get a kodiak over one), but the Ti-rants, M4-2000s, 762SDs, and TiTans are quite impressive.

nfatalk.org is probably the best place to get Free db numbers and excellent test information.

Last edited:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Skip silencertalk.com as a place to get info. That site is ran by people who work for AAC, so guess who makes the "greatest products ever". Go to silencerreview.com, pay for a premium membership, and get facts.

PS: My .22 YHM Wraith was rebuilt by Liberty and now has Kodiak internals.
    JR1572

The site may be owned by AAC but its full of members like me who could care less about AAC. They are numerous threads on their about .22 cans and most of them suggest the spectre or kodiak the element/prodigy rarely get mentioned.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I just ordered 3 AAC CANS. .22, 5.56, and 9mm.

I also have plans for a Surefire and a Redjacket.

First three are on my trust done by MounthPiece, who I HIGHLY reccommend.

I think Pangris convinced me to go the LLC route for the next ones though.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I have also got to play with the RJ cans, they are amazing, really built for tough use. Maybe not the best sound suppression (darn close), but no blowback, no FRP. Really robust designs.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Im looking for a .22 suppressor, I would like for it to be local and start on the paperwork soon. Im guessing its going to take anywhere from 60-180 days.

If anyone knows of one for sale in St Tammany please PM me.

Thanks
    eman2k5

You should run right over there to S&S Custom Tactical and see him since you are in Slidell. He has some nice suppressors in there and he does all the paperwork for you and gets everything out.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I think those looking for "hollywood" sound reduction as the number one priority, more than durability, ability to be cleaned, backpressure dwell times, etc etc are indeed missing the boat.

IMO the point is to take the edge off the sound so that you don't go deaf. Suppressors have gotten good enough that most do that pretty well. Once you hace accomplished that, it is time to look at other factors.

I disagree the points is not all just so you dont go deaf, especially in a .22lr silencer. A lot of people want hollywood quiet for pest control or shooting and their backyard and not having the neighbors call the cops even though its legal where you are. For other calibers this doesnt really apply.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Tone plays a huge roll in perceived sound, not just pressure levels. Most .22 cans are in the same ballpark, at least the top 5or 6 sound about the same. After that, it's feature set.

Waccou

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    LLC was easiest for me with no lawyer fees. Approval of my first suppressor from check cashed by BATF to stamp approval was 6 weeks exactly. I was skeptical at first but now I believe.

Last edited:

jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    i'm late to this discussion but am curious is there a difference between .22 suppressor for pistols and for rifles. i am thinking about getting a suppresor for a 10/22, just trying to figure out the starting point

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    jjss

Suppressors are funny things. Some designs work good while others don't.
    It's not just baffle design, although this is important, but spacing of baffels

Some suppressors work well on pistols such as the AAC Element and some work better on rifles. The impluse has much to do with it. The SWR Specre is probably the best all around 22 can for rifles depending on what you're looking for.

The 10/22 will make a great host. Most suppressors should work very well. I had a YHM Mite work well enough on one and the Mite isn't the greatest can

There may be a little bit more to cans than just how quite they are. For me it was ease of cleaning and durability. For this, I had to build my own. This is called a Form 1. The one I built is quiter than a pellet gun and easy to build

If you have access to a lathe and milling machine I can send picture of my can. If not, maybe Red Jacket can build you a good, easy to clean can

Do you have a threaded barrel? If not, YHM has threaded ER Shaw barrels for $150. These are good barrels and will shoot 1" groups at 50yds with 38gr Agulia sub-sonics

If you live around Thibodaux and want to shoot a few suppressors, PM me

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So with the spectre being rated up to 5.7x28 does that mean I can use it on a .22 auto loader, 10/22 and my AR? if so the added ability of my AR makes it worth the $450.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    The Spectre is rated for pistol caliber only. If you use is on an AR15 it had better be with a .22 conversion kit only! It is not rated for any centerfire rifle caliber.

Top Bottom